Transitions from workflow to workflow

Anis Ahmed Chohan February 18, 2015

Hi All,

We have two work flows, one called "Backlog workflow" we have Epics and Stories created, in this flow we groom the stories and get them invested this is the process of creating stories, sub-tasks etc...

Once they are invested we pick what we want from our Invested status and want to move them into our "Development workflow".

How would I go about doing this. Is this possible? 

Kind Regards,

Anis Ahmed Chohan

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alan Corey February 19, 2015

I have done this before with two boards.  One Kanban Board for "pre-development" and one Scrum board for "development."

The Kanban board is filtered to only show pre-dev statuses like "To Do", "Needs Requirements", "Needs Sizing" and then the last column/status is "Sprint Ready".

The Scrum board then filters out all those statuses except for "Sprint Ready" and has all item statuses of "Sprint Ready" as it's backlog.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2015

Yes, one workflow, but more than one way to look at it, showing only the issues in the relevant status. I should have said that, so thanks for adding it!

Anis Ahmed Chohan February 19, 2015

Yes brilliant! This works beautifully! I ended up to this conclusion I have multiple scrum boards to show the progress of tickets now :).

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2015

The correct solution here is to stop trying to use two workflows.  You've got one process, define that as the workflow.

Your other options are

• Have two projects, one for backlog, one for development.  
  • Have two issue types, one for backlog, one for development.

When you pick stuff to move it from backlog to development, you move it from one project or issue-type to the other.

The issue with that is, when we raise bugs they get put into our initial state and go straight into backlog, when we want them to go into our develop to do status.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2015

Ok, change the workflow for bugs so that it lands in "to do" instead of whatever you have in backlog.

Is there a plugin that might deal with this? Or is there a way to hold sub-tasks, stories from going into sprint if there epic isn't in a certain status?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2015

Not really, it sounds like your process is a bit broken. Having a different workflow for "bug" and "everything else" is a good solution, needs no addons. There's no way to stop items from being added to a sprint either. You can block them from progressing through the workflow with validators (some off-the-shelf, but I'd use the script runner to define more useful ones)

Suggest an answer