Transitions coming from a status which has no incoming transitions.

Deepthi June 7, 2016

I have created a workflow for the defect which has different status and transitions. Some of the transitions are displayed in red saying 'This transition comes from a status which has no incoming transitions.' But there are incoming transitions for those status. Can anyone let me know the reason I am getting this warning? Does this impact my workflow?

4 answers

1 vote
Deleted user April 10, 2019

The Solution was simple, I had the issue with transitioning X to Y, X was the issue, just add new status and use that instead of X that resolved the issue. 

Levan Mzhavanadze May 2, 2019

In my case non of the solution is working: I copied the status, I copied the workflow itself, but it does not work.

Difference is the following:

Case 1: Identified (To Do) -> Analyzed (In Progress) ->  Treated (In Progress) -> Archived (Done)

Case 2: Identified (To Do) -> Analyzed (In Progress) -> Archived (Done)

Case 1 - has problem and it says that there is no incoming transition for Archive status, but in Case 2 there is no problem. 

Any idea, what could be the problem and what could be solution/workaround?

P.S. I use on premise version.

0 votes
Sivarama Krishna
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2017

As long as our workflow is able to route it, how our organization requirement. 

Based on my observation, JIRA consider only 3 Stages.

And is followed three STATUS.

To-Do(Blue) --> In Progress(Yellow) --> Done (Green)

Each state is represented either one of the above.

All yellow color STATUS should have an incomeing transaction from Blue STATUS. Else, it will mark as "There are no incoming transitions to this status".  And it will not be considered for routing(It may be a mior bug in system. But not stopping us to use the system)

My Workflow shows RED marks for Review & Done STATUS

New (Blue) --> Developement (Yellow) --> Review (Yellow) --> Done (Green)

Atlassian may resolve it in future versions.

Moreover it is not going to stop our work.

I am not sure where these RED indicators will impact.(Grea Area for me)

0 votes
Deepthi June 7, 2016

image2016-6-7 12:18:55.png

Deepthi June 7, 2016

In the above screenshot, if there are few transitions which are red stating 'This transition comes from a status which has no incoming transitions.'

Any suggestions?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2016

Perfect, thanks for the screenshot.  Yes, I've never seen it do that before, as I feared.

I'd do a couple of things at this point:

1. Check the text view of the workflow - does that look ok?  Any errors on that?
  2. Try copying the workflow to a new one to see if the error goes away in a copy
  3. The third thing would be a look at the logs, but as you've said "Cloud", I don't think you'll be able to - I'd therefore raise this with Atlassian support over at https://support.atlassian.com (Include the picture you attached here, it's perfect for showing them the bug)

I'm not sure of the exact impact - as the workflow actually looks like it's valid, I suspect it might work fine.  I wouldn't put it into a production project though, I'd try it in a test project in case it does have problems.

Jonathan Davila February 2, 2017

Did you ever find a solution to this? Or did it end up impacting the workflow negatively? I'm running into the same issue now and want to make sure it doesn't destroy my project.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2016

I think we could use a screenshot of this.  I've seen the warning before, but only when it's accurate.

Suggest an answer