Transitioning between projects using just one workflow

Rohith Kondeti June 23, 2015

Hello,

Still very new to JIRA so I was wondering if this was a possibility. I would like to set up a workflow where once a certain transition happens,I want the issue to be passed into another project based on a certain field that was selected.

What Im envisioning is that the issue starts off in one project with basic information. In the next step, somebody else from that project picks up the issue, adds more info and then decides which project this issue is best suited for (A or B) and now wants to pass the ticket along to that project. Can this be done without opening up a second ticket? Ideally I want this to all be in the same workflow.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2015

This is quite complex, JIRA is built to hold issues in one project, and moving an issue is not a trivial task.  

This is because the project is where all the configuration is held.  You can easily create two projects that are totally different - different fields, screens, notifications, permissions, and most importantly, workflows.  To move an issue, you need to validate and update all of those things.

There is no way an issue can be "in the same workflow" in two projects.  The workflow depends on the project and issue type.  You could well have told JIRA "use the same workflow for everything in these two projects", but they're still logically separate because they are determined by project and issue type.

So, yes, you can move an issue manually.  You could try to do it with code, but it's a very complex thing to do.  Your best option is to have another look at the project organisation - is it really worth trying to do things this way?  Why can't your issues remain in the same project? 

Suggest an answer