Transitioning JIRA ticket via Commenting

David Badiola August 22, 2016

Want to know the exact text notation to transition a JIRA ticket from one custom workflow status to another.

Moreover, I don't have any Administrator privileges to know if there's any plugins installed or know the IDs of the workflow nodes, etc. Also, repositories aren't linked to JIRA cloud, so am not sure smart commits can be an option.

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2016

You'll need to find or write a listener that can pick up "issue commented" and issue the workflow transitions.  The automation add-on can do it, as could the old built-in listener which Atlassian used to use for "reopen when a comment is made on a closed issue"

But, you'll need to be an admin to do it, and you're quite limited on Cloud as to what you can install and get to.  Automation is the best bet I think.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2016

This isn't possible out of the box. If you have no ability to get add-ons installed and configured, then it cannot be done.

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2016

Are you referring to smart commits, where you can transition issues through commit messages? If yes, in that case you need to know the available workflow status which you can check by going to the Issue and clicking on the View Workflow (under Status). It will open up the workflow attached to that issue and you can check the exact status names.

David Badiola August 22, 2016

I don't think smart commits can be an option since repositories aren't linked to JIRA. Was pertaining to the comment section of JIRA alone.

Suggest an answer