Transition to a new status automatically

Jira Beginner October 21, 2015

Hi,

I have 2 questions:

1. Is it possible to transition automatically the transition of an issue in a project 1 according to the status of the issue in a project 2?
  2. transition the parent issue status according to the status of the child issue inside a same project ?

And is it doable without installing a chargeable plugin? smile

Thanks in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2015

#1: When you say "according to the status of the issue in a project 2", you mean that the issue you wish to transition is somehow linked to the issue in another project, through an Issue Linked (blocked by for instance)?

Use MISC Workflow extensions plugin. It's free (EDIT: No it's not, but it's not expensive. An excellent investment going forward). You would do a workflow post-function in Project #2, so that when the issue moves to the desired status, the linked issue(s) in Project #1 also move, through the transition of your choice.

It's not magic, and you should use a specific issue relationship for just that purpose, as to avoid all related issues to change statuses and not just the single issue you want. I had to create a new issue relationship clearly labeled for exactly that purpose.

#2 Same plugin, and similar method using a post-function.

Use with care. Automatic transition can become very unhelpful if your users don't understand the little nuances in issue relationship or don't realize the impact on other projects of their status changes.

So basically yeah, you need a paid plugin to do that, but that's way cheaper than developing your own plugin. I hope you can convince the bosses to shell out a few dollars for that. It's just not going to happen otherwise.

Suggest an answer