Transition time for status is getting calculated incorrectly

zarina siddique November 20, 2014

HI Team,

I have added a status (Triage) in an existing workflow. The Time in source status/Status Change Time is getting calculated incorrectly.

Sample Defect was created on 19/Nov/14 5:33 PM and status were changed on 21-Nov-14

Below is the example of a defect and its transition time

Open->Triage (Status Change Time  0d -2m -19s  , Last Execution Date = 21/Nov/14 12:57 PM )

Triaged Resolved With Code Fix (Status Change Time   1d 19h 25m   , Last Execution Date = 21/Nov/14 12:59 PM)

Resolved With Code Fix Deployed (Status Change Time   0d -8s   , Last Execution Date = 21/Nov/14 12:59 PM )

Deployed Closed (Status Change Time  0d 2m 33s   , Last Execution Date = 21/Nov/14 12:59 PM )

This above incorrect data for status change time.

with SQL query

Step     Start Time                           End time                        Day Hrs Min Sec

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Open    11/19/2014 5:33:55 PM    11/21/2014 12:57:26 PM    1    19    23    31

Triaged    11/21/2014 12:57:26 PM    11/21/2014 12:59:45 PM    0    0    2    19

Resolved With Code Fix    11/21/2014 12:59:45 PM    11/21/2014 12:59:51 PM    0    0    0    6

Deployed    11/21/2014 12:59:51 PM    11/21/2014 12:59:59 PM    0    0    0    8

Closed    11/21/2014 12:59:59 PM    11/21/2014 3:44:02 PM    0    2    44    3

so on JIRA it should actually give

Open->Triage (Status Change Time  1d  19H 23m 31s  , Last Execution Date = 21/Nov/14 12:57 PM )

Triaged Resolved With Code Fix (Status Change Time   2m 19s   , Last Execution Date = 21/Nov/14 12:59 PM)

Resolved With Code Fix Deployed (Status Change Time   6s   , Last Execution Date = 21/Nov/14 12:59 PM )

Deployed Closed (Status Change Time  8s   , Last Execution Date = 21/Nov/14 12:59 PM )

Request you to please guide whether am i missing out anything while adding a status in an existing workflow or why the JIRA is showing status time incorrect

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2014

I can't understand the numbers you are seeing here.  Where are you getting these "incorrect" JIRA numbers from?

Could you simplify this and just look at one transition too - let's say just the "Open -> Triage" one.

zarina siddique November 21, 2014

Hi Brough,

The JIRAs aren't incorrect ...the Transition time getting calculated and appearing on JIRA application are incorrect.

So to simplify as u suggested lets say the transition from Open-> Triage

1. Defect was created on 19/Nov/14 5:33:55 PM and hence was in status "Open" (as per workflow)
  2.  on 21/Nov/2014 12:59:45 PM the status was changed to "Triage"
  3. So the defect was in open status for 1 day 19 hrs 23 min and 31 sec
  4. but the JIRA Transition "Status in Time" on application shows (0d -2m -19s)

Open->Triage (Status Change Time   0d -2m -19s  , Last Execution Date = 21/Nov/14 12:57 PM )

as u analyze further for other transitions the "Status Change Time" shows incorrect data for other statuses too.

if u verify the JIRA application result shown in the previous post vis-a-vis with SQL query you u will be able to understand that "Status Change Time" is showing wrong data

i hope i'm able to convey the problem with one status(as suggested)

if u still unable to understand...feel free to tag on my email id.

Regards,

Zarina S

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2014

Sorry, I was not clear. I want to know where Jira is showing you the incorrect results. You say "but the JIRA Transition "Status in Time" on application shows" - but WHERE are you seeing that? Which screen, and how do you get to see it?

zarina siddique November 21, 2014

Hi Brough,

i  have attached the screenshot below,

you can see the status change time under transition tab of Activity frame of a defect

Incorrect Transition time.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 21, 2014

Interesting. Could you show us the "History" tab there too? If you want to keep it short, we're only interested in the lines that record status change (just need the from, to and date/time stamps)

zarina siddique November 23, 2014

Hi Brough,

Sorry for the delay!!

Please find below the screenshot of the History tabScreenshot_Histtab.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 23, 2014

Ok, that's great. This looks like the "transitions tab" from the Jira Toolkit is getting it completely wrong. It looks to me like it is making the right calculations in terms of size, but then attributing them to the wrong transitions, and getting incorrect negatives out. I think this needs to be raised with the authors of the toolkit as a bug.

Just to bring in notice the transition time under "Transition" tab for other projects with different workflows is getting calculated correctly but its the problem with the workflow I'm using. I have used an existing workflow and edited it by including a Triage status. am i missing out something while setting up a status in existing workflow. also u mentioned that the defect need to be raised with authors of toolkit as bug.. I have already raised a severity 3 type ticket on Atlassian support. 1. Can u guide me on how to take it forward it to toolkit team 2. can u help confirming there is no problem in the workflow(in which i have included the new status) before going to the toolkit team Regards, Zarina S

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 23, 2014

Inserting a status should not make any difference in my experience - until you use the transitions in and out of the status, there won't be any timing data to work with. You've used the new status, so there is data now. The data is correct, but the plugin is displaying it completely wrong. For your questions: 1. You've raised it, that's all you can do 2. There is no problem in the workflow. The problem is in the calculation of what is being displayed in the tab

Thanks Brough! I'm forwarding the support ticket/Service request ofthis issue to jsu@beecom.ch suggested by service desk since Transition tab is not given by JIRA portal by default .This added feature seems to be from a third party plugin called JIRA Suite Utilities. So will forward the service request to them. Let me know if anything clicks to resolve this problem! Regards, Zarina S

Suggest an answer