Transition linked issues doesn't work if Resolution field is on that transition screen (even if the resolution is set)

Ovidiu Vasilescu November 17, 2016

Use case:

Issue Type A has a Force Close transition (from any status). I have a screen with Resolution on this transition so I don't close it without a resolution chosen.

Issue Type B also has an identical Force Close transition. Also, Issue Type B has an additional post-function to Transition Linked Issues through their own Force Close.

Basically Issue Type B has many Issue Type A linked to it through a specific link. When I close Issue Type B, I want all Issue Types A to also be closed with it. Every Issue Type A can also be Force Closed on its own, as long as a resolution is set.

My attempt is 2 post-functions in order:

First: Copy Resolution to Linked Issues (works)

Then: Transition Linked Issues (doesn't work)

The only way I managed to make this work is if I remove Resolution from the Force Close screen on Issue Type A. The fact that this field is system mandatory seems to block the transition, even if a Resolution is already set.

I've also seen online that I can't change how Resolution works because it's a system field.

Any ideas how I can make this work?

1 answer

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2016

You could always add a hidden transition that isn't availible to ordinary users. If you did this, you could call that transition from your post functions and not have to worry about screens or the resolution field blocking the transition. 

Ovidiu Vasilescu November 17, 2016

That doesn't work because each status has only one transition from ALL. I want to be able to force close from any status.

One extremely ugly workaround is to add another status. Done could be for Type A Force Close and visible to users, asking for Resolution. Closed could be for Type B Force Close (coming from linked issues) and not asking for Resolution. This can be hidden from users.

However it seems extremely ugly :\

image2016-11-18 9:26:30.png

Suggest an answer