Transition from ms project

SIZWE_MKHIZE March 13, 2016

Good evening

You will forgive my ignorance but I now have the opportunity to get an organisation into using JIRA Software. -  which means I have just set up an account and now need assistance with this tool.

1. As terrible as ms project is with agile projects, it is able to give a clear estimate of when the project will roughly finish. How do I do this in JIRA Software? That date is often the bottom line which stakeholders want to hear more than anything.
  2. Im struggling to properly assign roles in the project. It seems like the users that I do create just get a default role of JIRA Software for the site access ... which seems to give them almost the same roles as me (administrator) as they have the same views as I do. I would like to create separate roles for users (developers, testers and UX designers), separate role for a PM, and another for the portfolio manager. There must be a way I can do this. Please assist.
  3. Can I tract the cost of a project? I want to assign the the cost per hour to my resources such that I can track the cost of the project ... and any other material costs that may happen in the project.

As a start I would appreciate answers to these questions. Please forgive my ignorance. I am trying this for the first time as of today while juggling 3 projects ... so yeah I am rather rattled a bit.

Thank you for reading this.

Regards,

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2016

The main reason why MS Project is terrible with Agile project is that the gant chart and whole methodology around does not work in agile environment. Without going into discussion is Agile good or bad here is how it usually works.

In agile you should rely on two metrics - Burn down and Burn up.

Here are two quick articles as a start:
http://blogs.atlassian.com/2014/08/burnup-reports-agile-teams-guest-blog/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn_down_chart

SIZWE_MKHIZE March 15, 2016

Thank you.

Im going to look into these right now.

Regards,

Sizwe

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2016
  1. You can get the projected date of a version or release using JIRA Portfolio
    • You need to schedule estimated work to a version/release and assign to a team with a velocity to see dates start working
    • You can either set fixed dates to see problems with a release or you can set dynamic dates so that the release date moves accordingly
  2. If you have roles appropriate for custom roles, consider making them! Users and Developers are typical. You need to associate these to Permissions Schemes in Projects. By default JIRA is shipping with Administrators and everyone else which is a little... Well it's not restrictive enough for big company uses but great for Cloud customers.
  3. There's no default way to track costs in JIRA. The best way to be to associate an external cost to time and to track time in Estimates and Time Logging in JIRA.

Let me know what else I can answer. I could answer more specific questions about roles, permissions, or portfolio.

SIZWE_MKHIZE March 25, 2016

Thank you.

0 votes

Yes I am using JIRA Software and JIRA Portfolio.

0 votes

Yes I am using JIRA Software and JIRA Portfolio.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 13, 2016

What products are you using? JIRA Software and JIRA Portfolio?

Suggest an answer