Transition a ticket between workflows - Support Workflow to Development Workflow

Michael Baskerville January 28, 2014

Heyas,

I have setup Jira such that "Support Issues" have a different workflow to the regular development tickets. This is because they simply have different statuses due to the way they are handled internally.

However, one of the outcomes of a support issue is that it could require development to fix a bug / implement a new feature. So what i am trying to do is have a way such that if a "Support Issue" needs development and hence needs to get into the development workflow, to have a way to achieve this using the transition buttons for the ticket.

The way we are currently handling this case is to use the "Move" function which works, but its just more screens then it needs and i'm trying to simplify the process.

Is there any way to transition a ticket between 2 seperate workflows without using the "Move" function? I have tried having the same status in both workflows and then trying to change the Issue Type from "Support Issue" to "Bug" , but that didnt work :)

I dont mind buying an add-on if there is something that handles this case.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

Hmmm actually i found in the "Related Questions" pretty much what i am asking.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/220469/change-issue-type-automatically-on-transition<br< a="">>
https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/214796/workflow-transitions-between-workflows

So basically, it seems that what i am after is quite complex to achieve and is technically possible but requires development of an add-on that doesnt exist yet.

So for now, it looks like i either need to "Merge" the Support and Development workflows into 1 or keep using the "Move" method we are doing now.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2014

I can confirm what you've found if it helps.

Moving issues from one type to another is very complex because all the configuration is hung off project/issue type, and that's why you have to go through several steps to ensure data integrity. As you've found, no-one has written a publically available post-function or process to do it automatically.

Thanks - getting comfirmation does help :)

In our particular situation, the moving between workflows should actually be quite simple because we dont have any differences between ticket requirements between the 2 workflows - so i may look to handle this myself - but it will only work in our particular situation where there is no seperate ticket information between the workflows.

0 votes
Adam Rosenhek November 20, 2015

From what I`ve read in another thread, looks like it can be done with Update issues post function from Plugin: Update on Transition for JIRA can change the issue type and other things. I have not tested it yet, but will soon.

Deleted user April 5, 2019

There is nothing in that plugin documentation that says it can change a ticket from one Issue Type to another. This is what it says it can do:

Update issues post function

• Updates one or more issues specified directly or via JQL search
  • Update system fields
  • Update custom fields
  • Set labels
  • Add a link
  • Set issue security level
  • Copy attachments from another issue
  • Set watchers
  • Add a comment
Carl Allen May 1, 2019

I can confirm that Update on transition WILL do this, as long as you update its Issue Type and the Workflow step in the exact same post function, I've been doing it for about a year, basically our Tech support group takes e-mails as incoming tickets in JIRA service desk they come in as the issue type "support" -- the first workflow takes them through triage and declaring what type of issue it should be, from there there are 3 buttons(transitions)

• Incident
  • Service Request
  • Change

I use BS Update on transition to change it to the new issue type and dump it at the start of the new workflow. 

Josh Hemond May 15, 2020

hi @Carl Allen

Can you confirm that you are using the JIRA server version?

Also, can you please specify what you mean by BS update?

thanks!

josh 

Carl Allen May 15, 2020

@Josh Hemond 

Sure thing, yep Plain old Jira Server, with the addon Bob Swift Update on Transition:

https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CW

BS = sorry was using it as shorthand, addon: Bob Swift ... Update on Transition, the addon Mentioned in Adam's reply.

Like Josh Hemond likes this

Suggest an answer