Transition Screen based on issue type

Kathleen Jacobs October 8, 2013

I have a workflow that is shared with multiple issue types.

When I creat a transition, it wants a Transition Screen. Is there any way I can have a screen show that is based on the issue type?

Different issue types hold different information.

8 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2013

Not directly.

You could make a screen that includes all the fields for all the issue types, then use field context or configurations to hide the ones you don't need on an issue-type basis.

Or you can define two separate transition screens and two separate workflows that use them (because you can say workflow 1 for issue type 1 and workflow 2 for issue type 2)

Vinoth V October 31, 2017

"use field context or configurations to hide" 

Do you mean field context for custom fields and field configuration for system fields ? 

Pls clarify.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2017

Not necessarily.  You could use field config to do all the work, but you don't have to.  System fields always exist though, they don't have a context.

Pieter Kuppens October 23, 2019

For future reference:

I had this problem as well, but I could easily solve it by having two (or more) transitions with different screens and adding a condition to the transition with a 'Value Field / Issue Type'.

I'm not sure if it requires Scriptrunner.

I did give the transitions different names, like 'Resolve <Issue Type>'

Emily Wasklewicz April 21, 2021

I am unsure what you mean by context?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2021

Custom fields all have a "context".  This means "where I am valid on a project and/or issue type basis". 

For example, you might have "root cause" as a field.  Never going to appear on any issue type other than "incident", so limit its context to incidents and you don't have to think about screens or field configs for hiding it where people don't want it.  (There are other reasons for contexts, but that explains it best)

1 vote
Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2013

I use the basic name, such as Resolve, for the one associated with majority of types. Then for others, I specifically state: Resolve Bug, Resolve Impediment, etc.

1 vote
Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2013

You can create a transition for each issue type where you create a validator in which that transition only appears for a specific issue type. For example, Create Resolve transition where issue type = Story and a Resolve transition where the issue type = Bug. The user still sees only one Resolve transition, but the screens, conditions, and post functions are specific to that issue type.

Kathleen Jacobs October 9, 2013

How can I name them the same though? It keeps preventing me from making them because I already have a transition named 'Resolve'

1 vote
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 8, 2013

The answers from both Henning and Nic are correct.

Either you use 2 seperate workflows or you use one workflow with multiple transitions between certain states using scripted permissions based on issue type.

Best regards,

Peter

1 vote
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2013

Additionally to Nics suggestions you can use the Script Runner plugin and create different workflow transitions with different screens which are only available for a specific issue type (through a script runner scripted condition "Allows the transition if this query matches a JQL query").

Kathleen Jacobs October 9, 2013

How can I name them the same though? It keeps preventing me from making them because I already have a transition named 'Resolve'

0 votes
OA November 9, 2015

Thank you Nic.

I have tried to use the option number one you suggested:

1) Have one workflow and for each transition, one screen. Use field configurations to hide fields for different issue types (...)

but I am not sure how to make it. I can see there is a "View Field Configurations" screen
(at /secure/admin/ViewFieldLayouts.jspa)

There, we can see "Field Configuration Schemes", where I can have a different one for some issue types ( hiding/showing the fields we need or not for each one, as you say ). 

But, how do I connect each different field configuration scheme to the issue types (or group of issue types) using just one screen by transition?

In plain English:

How can We use field configurations to hide fields for different issue types, but show them for other ones?

Thank you a lot

0 votes
OA November 9, 2015

Hello, we have the same trouble: each transition seems to be able just to manage one type of screen, but we have 3 different scheme screens, depending on the issue type

We use JIRA Helpdesk at Cloud, so I think there is no chance to script anything for us (and an upgrade is a no-go now).

How can we have more than 1 screen type per transition using various workflows as you suggest, which will be bassically 3 copies?

Thank you a lot

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2015

It has not changed, but I don't know why you think you need scripting or anything. Either 1) Have one workflow and for each transition, one screen. Use field configurations to hide fields for different issue types 2) Have different workflows for each issue type using different screens

0 votes
Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2013

by configuring ScreenScheme and IssueTypeScreenScheme, you can do that.

#1) go to the Screen Schemes in Admin->Issues->Screens->Screen Schemes->{create your screen scheme and configure for particular issuetype i.e.Create, Edit,View operations}

#2) go to the IssueTypeScreenScheme your project is using.

Admin->Issues->Screens->Issue Type Screen Schemes->{your project issue type screen scheme}->Configure->Associate an Issue Type with a Screen Scheme->{select the screen scheme configured for particular issue type}

go through the following links:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Associating+a+Screen+with+an+Issue+Operation

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Associating+Screen+and+Issue+Operation+Mappings+with+an+Issue+Type

Kathleen Jacobs October 8, 2013

but what would I need to do to have the correct one show during a transition of the workflow?

Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2013

yes, I totally mis-interpreted the question. Nic's answer is the right one.

Suggest an answer