Transition Date/Time Field not working or showing up.

Ryan Gleim July 24, 2013

I have been trying to play with adding this custom field for hours and have gotten nowhere. I added the custom field but it doesn't show up on any of my screens. Please help!!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ryan Gleim July 30, 2013

This was fixed with the following bug fix: https://innovalog.atlassian.net/browse/JMCF-79

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2013

What do you mean by "transition date/time" field?

Standard custom fields include a date/time, but they are for entering data into (and won't be displayed until you have put data in)

So I'm guessing you have a plugin providing this somehow? Unless I've missed something in the core of course. If it is a plugin that you've just added, and it's providing a "derived" field, it's possible that it needs indexing before it will display anything for you.

I've got other thoughts, but I need to stop before I ramble further - it all depends on what type of field you are adding and how it's being implemented.

Ryan Gleim July 25, 2013

Hi Nic,

This is a custom field from the Jira Misc Custom Fields plugin.

I've gone through all the directions specified here: https://innovalog.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JMCF/JIRA+Misc+Custom+Fields#JIRAMiscCustomFields-transitiondatefield

I also re-indexed everytime I tried changing something, but I never got this field to show up on any screens that I attached it to... including the default screens.

Thanks,

Ryan

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2013

Ok. So, what screen have you added it to? Have you checked that this screen is definitely the one in use for issue VIEW in this project?

Now we know which type of field it is, and the config is quite complex and text-based, could you post the exact config you have placed for it

Ryan Gleim July 25, 2013

Here is the creation of the custom field screen.... more shots to come

Ryan Gleim July 25, 2013

Screens it should show up on:

I don't know why it's not letting me add the screen shot here.

Ryan Gleim July 25, 2013

This is the transition I'm trying to catch the Date/Time for: Verified (741)

In the description of the custom field I put this: <!-- @TransitionId: 741 -->

I reindexed after making the changes. but when I go through my workflow it give me the following error when checking for my field:

Field value

The field 'Verified' does not have value for issue SB-24 and will not be displayed on the view issue page. Set value for that field so that it shows up.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2013

S'ok, we can sort of work without that, as there's a few...

Let's pick on an issue that you know goes through the transition you've selected (are you sure 711 is the right number, by the way?)

Go to the project header for it and look for the issue-type-screen-scheme

Click on that, then go into the screen-scheme for the issue type we are looking at, and find the "view" line. Open up that screen and check that your field is on it.

Ryan Gleim July 25, 2013

Yep... and it's currently in the verified state. I've been doing all this in a sandbox, so I've been creating several new issues to go through the states multiple times.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2013

Sorry, cross posted - started typing, got distracted, came back, didn't see your update.

That warning message is very helpful, ish. It tells us that the field is doesn't have any data. Can you confirm that your issue definitely has been through the verified transition? Check the history tab on the issue.

Ryan Gleim July 25, 2013

how does that <!-- @TransitionId: 741 --> work? Do I need to make an event fire when that transition happens?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2013

The current state doesn't matter

The @TransitionId: 741 should mean "when I need to draw this field, go look at the issue history and pull out the last change history item that says the issue went through a transition with an ID of 741". (An event will be fired automatically, but it's nothing to do with this field)

As long as an issue definitely went through the transition (it may be possible to go around it, like closing an issue without resolving it)

One very desperate last guess - where are you looking for the date on the issue view screen? It could be in the body of the custom fields OR in the date panel.

I admit I'm stuck after this - I can't see that you've done anything wrong here at all.

Ryan Gleim July 25, 2013

I've looked everywhere on the screen for it. I expected it to be in the date panel, but I also looked everywhere else too. Is there a way to verify that it went through that transition with that ID other than just looking at the transition summary at the bottom of the issue page? Is there a log that shows transitionID 741 got called?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2013

The history (And transition, if you have the Jira toolkit installed) is definitely the best way to check your data. It's not really logged as such, but the history really should record everything.

This is why I'm flummoxed. You have done everything right, you've checked all the places you can, you've followed the setup docs to the letter.

One more idea from the depths - check the version of the plugin is the latest valid version for your version of Jira. Failing that, I think you've run into a bug in the plugin, and we'll need to go back to the writer!

Ryan Gleim July 25, 2013

I have the latest version of both Jira and the plugin. It's really weird because I see that this guy got it to work and he was basically doing the same thing. I guess my next step is the try and contact support. Thanks for all your help!!

msmith July 19, 2019

I have this exact problem 6 years later... if anyone understands how to solve it, please let me know. 

0 votes
RicardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2013

Hi Ryan

There is a documentation here that might help:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Specifying+Field+Behaviour

You need to associate the field with a screen and check which type of issues you associated it with.

Cheers

Ricardo Carracedo.

Ryan Gleim July 25, 2013

Hi Ricardo,

I actually already associated the field with several screens and several issue types... also re-indexed everytime I changed something.

Suggest an answer