Transiting linked issue which uses another workflow

Sergey Kochetkov August 8, 2014

I'm trying to automate transition of linked issues. The goal is to transit all "blocks"-linked issues of the current issue to the defined status. I'm using post-function "Transition linked issues" on original (blocker) issue's transition.

It works good if both issues - original blocker issue and linked issue being blocked - use same workflow. But if linked issue uses another workflow, it isn't transited. I suppose the reason is in the absence of transition with name/id specified in post-function I create in the linked issue's workflow.

But it doesn't look like correct behaviour, linked issue has it's own workflow with the transition names/ids, and I specify appropriate id for that linked issue's transition in the post-function. Why it cannot be transited?

Is it bug? Am I wrong?
Thanks for the reply!

5 answers

0 votes
Sergey Kochetkov August 14, 2014

I'd raise a bug.

0 votes
Vasyl Krokha August 9, 2014
Hi, In order to check if the problem is when issue and linked issue in diff workflows OR the issue is with linked issue workflow itself I'd also check the third case when both issue and linked issue use linked issue workflow. In this case workfliw is the same as in your first case. If it works then the problem is with workflow difference, check ids names transitions etc. If it doesnt work, then your linked issue workflow casing problems. One of the possible reasons could be a screen associated with the transions which expects some data. While the transion details are valid you might not be able to pass it the automated way.

Sorry, Vasiliy, I didn't understand your suggestion clearly. But the third case you've mentioned is an exact description of the configuration I tried. And it works good.
There's no any screens associated with any mentioned transitions.
Situation is simple:

All blocks-linked issues always use workflow A.
if I close an issue, which uses workflow A, all blocks-linked issues in a defined status are auto-transited.
if I close an issue, which uses workflow B, all blocks-linked issues in a defined status are NOT auto-transited.

Vasyl Krokha August 14, 2014

Then it is a bug...

Vasiliy Krokha [Ciklum] August 14, 2014

Then it is definitely a bug...

I think so. Thanks for the participation!
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-34600

0 votes
Sergey Kochetkov August 9, 2014

Unfortunately, I don't have immediate access to the filesystem of Jira server. Though it's availiable on request from system admins.
What would you seek there? My question is not about the reason of the described behaviour. I would just clarify if it's known restriction and if so, I would get a reason of this restriction or write a bug in Jira's bugtracking system.
As I wrote above, it works good if both issues - original blocker issue and linked issue being blocked - use same workflow.

0 votes
Paresh Gandhi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2014

can you provide atlassian-jira.log file.

0 votes
Paresh Gandhi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2014

Also I'm not sure that below link is helpful for you or not

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/324015/get-remote-web-issue-links-using-java

Sergey Kochetkov August 9, 2014

Thanks for your suggestion, pareshkumar. I understand that there should be several ways to do the job. My question is if it's possible to do it using built-in post-function, which seem to be designed right for that purpose.

Suggest an answer