Transfer Jira configuration schema to another Jira

Konstantin Lyakhovsky February 12, 2013

Hello,

Is there solution for transfer jira configuration schema to another Jira?

We would like to transfer issue type scheme, workflow scheme, screen scheme, field scheme, notification scheme, permission scheme.

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2013

I'm afraid that this is not possible at the moment. All I know is that there is a plugin to copy workflows:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-workflow-sharing-plugin

I guess everybody would like to have the features you're describing... but it's not a simple as that. I mean you can't just copy a scheme with all the dependancies since you probably have different IDs in your target JIRA (Project ID, Scheme IDs issue type etc...)

Cheers

Christian

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2013
1 vote
José Marañón [Awnaba Software S.L.]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2013

There is a plugin called Project Configurator, that copies all elements in a project configuration (workflows, schemes, custom fields, screens, statuses,...) to an XML file and it is able to restore it later to another JIRA instance, regardless those configuration elements already exist in the new instance. It does not transfer data (issues or attachments), just the configuration.

(Disclaimer: I am a developer of this plugin)

MPE April 9, 2014

I am currrently testing this plugin. the idea is great, but I think, it would be beneficial to enhance the plugins exception handling. For me it was crashing continuously during export due to missing users or groups that had still orphaned references to projects. I could only get it working by re-creating the missing groups or users. however, I have no use for them at all.

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2014

There have been frequent problems in some instances when exporting, when the plugin found users and groups that seemed to suffer from some inconsistency. In order to solve that problem, you can choose among several modes to export users and groups information. When you are about to export, select "Advanced Export" option and you will be taken to a page where you can select which group and user export mode you prefer. There is more information here. This should solve the problems with users or groups.

Bear in mind also, that any object (workflow, scheme, group, user, etc.) which is referenced by the project configuration will be exported, even if it is an indirect reference. For example, suppose the project has a role, which has some groups as members, and those groups contain users. This is necessary in order to make the exported file self contained.

If you still face any obstacle when using the plugin, do not hesitate to contact us again, either here or at our issue tracker, or any of the other support channels.

MPE April 10, 2014

thanks for the info, José. Was not aware of the advanced settings ;)

that seems to work.

MPE April 10, 2014

... back again. well only so far.

got an unhandled exception, while "Translating custom field Id customfield_10926": com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.utils.errorhandling.UnexpectedJiraProblemException: No custom field found with an id of: customfield_10926

thoughts?

p.s. i would submit an issue in your tracker, but seems like I dont have the rights to do so.

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2014

You need to be logged into the issue tracker for creating an issue. The instance is open, that means you can create your own user account in a few clicks.

That message means that the plugin has found a reference to a custom field with id "10926" but there does not seem to exist such a field in your instance. There must be also a "location" message, that points to the place where the reference was found.

Typically this situation arises when a custom field is used in a workflow and later on the custom field is deleted, or the plugin that defines its custom field type is disabled.

MPE April 13, 2014

sorry to come back here...

I tried to create an issue and thus registered in the tracker. But apparently, I get either "You do not have permission to create issues in this project", or dont see the create button at all. If you could check my permissinos and I will be happy to submit.

-----

the custom field problem is realted to a deleted field, true. not sure how to restore or remove references in the project as they dont show up in the configuration anymore. is there anything the plugin could handle? e.g. ignoring any removed or unrelated field references? - I assume that is the intention of the switch "Filter unused custom fields"...

thanks.

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 13, 2014

Hi MPE,

You are welcome.

When you are trying to export, the page you get with the error includes also a "location" message that shows where the exporter found that reference. Depending on where the reference is (a screen, a workflow,...) I could give you additional advice for removing that reference. So it would be necessary that you send that message in order to progress further.

The switch "Filter unsused custom fields" has a different purpose. It is explained here.

----

With respect to the issue tracker, when you say you registered in it do you mean you had created an account and logged in the tracker? Even so, you were unable to create an issue?

MPE April 13, 2014

>> With respect to the issue tracker, when you say you registered in it do you mean you had created an account and logged in the tracker? Even so, you were unable to create an issue?

>> yes, this is the problem.

I'd rather like to continue the discussion in the tracker then i could add trace logs and further config info.

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 13, 2014

Actually there was a problem with the tracker. It should be fixed now, and your user should be able to create an issue.

If you still had any problem, please email it to our "support" account (at awnaba.com)

Stephen January 26, 2016

Will Project Configurator be available for Cloud versions? Is there an equivalent?

Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2016

Hi eSpark!

AFAIK there is not an equivalent to Project Configurator for JIRA Cloud.

We would love to port the plugin to JIRA Cloud. The difficulty is that JIRA REST API does not cover some configuration aspects. If this problem could be solved, it would be a matter of a few months to release a JIRA Cloud version.

GABRIEL IGNACIO MENOR GARCIA August 10, 2016

Hello José,

I would like to know if there's any way to export just the issue types and its schemes both. Not exporting all the configuration, just aun issue type.

Thanks in advance!

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 10, 2016

Hi Gabriel,

Yes, there is a way when importing, not for the export. There is a list at the bottom of the import page that lets you select object types that you do not want to import. Just select there everything but "Issue types" and "Issue type schemes" before importing.

You are welcome!

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2013

Do a backup from one instance, restore to the other and delete all the projects (if your second instance is an empty one)

Konstantin Lyakhovsky February 14, 2013

Yep.... we use this solution to transfer from production to test jira.... but we are looking solution to opposite transfer. Production-instance not empty.

Suggest an answer