Tracking progress towards plan in JIRA Portfolio

Jessica Riga August 27, 2015

I am stuck trying to figure out how to track progress towards a plan in JIRA Portfolio. I have my plan configured for manual updates and know how to do this. However my "Start" is always the current date and the dashed orange line never moves forward, as seen in images posted in Atlassian Documentation:

Status+Info+in+the+Graphical+Schedule.png

Do I need to somehow fix the start date so it is not overridden by manual updates? It would be really helpful to be able to see actuals of our progress to plan.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Martin Suntinger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 27, 2015

Hi Jessica, you can't really have a look back in time once you update the plan (via plan > update from date). This sets the start date to the update date and plans forward from there. The case in the screenshot can only occur before running a plan update where you start into the work and the orange "today" line moves past the start date (or last update date). 

This basically means you have two options: 

• Do an initial plan and track against it without updating
  • Keep the plan updated frequently, and focus on forward-looking forecasting (recommended) 

We have some ideas to introduce a concept of snapshots in the future, but no concrete commitments for it yet - meanwhile the other thing you can do is export the plan regularly to keep track of how the schedule looked like at some point in the past. 

Best, Martin, PM for JIRA Portfolio

Suggest an answer