Tracking custom durations in issues

timurb January 12, 2016

I'm seeking a way of tracking and calculating service downtimes via JIRA tickets.

For that I'd use a custom field with "duration" and some kind of report to produce sum of durations per time period (per week/per month/etc).

Unfortunately I haven't found anything like that in stock JIRA plugins.

Any ideas into which direction I should look?

I'm using JIRA Cloud Software.

1 answer

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2016

You are correct to say that there are no easy ways of achieving this with the system. Although it can be configured to achieve this. Here are some ideas for you to consider.

1. If your service monitoring software is capable of sending an API request and capturing an API response you could automatically create an issue on downtime start and then transition the same issue upon restoration of service. I would define a custom type for the tracking of downtime and also use customfields to capture which service is impacted.
  2. If you are manually going to enter the information in a field then look at some of the plugins for additional reporting.

timurb January 12, 2016

Ticket may have associated work, that's why I don't want to use work log. Also most issues are tracked manually for now so it may be open longer or at different times than actual incident. Regarding plugins for additional reporting -- can you suggest any? I could not find anything directly relevant to this. For now I'm using plain text description like "5m", "2h" but looks like I can't report on that without offloading to Excel or something.

Suggest an answer