Tracking costs and billing with vanilla JIRA

Valerio Santinelli May 13, 2014

Is there a way to track costs and do some billing reports with vanilla JIRA?

What I'd like to be able to do is:

• assign an hourly cost to each resource (developer user)
  • assign a budget to a project
  • let developers log worked hours (worklogs seem fine for that)
  • keep track of the time spent on a project and the difference between the budget and the total costs of that project at a given time.
  • being able to print a report that shows all the tasks being done on a project with the relative hours spent on each by each developer

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2014

No, it's an issue tracker. It's got worklogs, as you say, and hence you can report on "time spent on project"

But there's no financials in it - you'll need to use add-ons to incorporate and use that sort of data. I'm not sure I'd recommend any specific plugin in the marketplace - I've not used Jira like this really (Well, actually, I have, but the whole thing was written internally and isn't a public plugin)

Janel Berning July 27, 2017

Is this still the case?  Or has anything new been added within the past 3 years that will allow you to easily track time spent on a project or task, and then use that data to generate a report of billable time by project (or in my case, by client)?

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2017

Not in the Core of JIRA - it's still an issue tracker.

But for financials if you're happy with add-ons, give Tempo timesheets + Tempo Folio a go.

Janel Berning July 27, 2017

Thanks!  How about the ability to at least pull a report on the time spent?  When a tech is working on an issue, they have the ability to enter a time-value for how much time they spent working on the issue, correct?  Would also be great if the report could be sorted by client and whether the time spent was flagged as billable or not.

Valerio Santinelli July 27, 2017

I used to do something similar with a client's instance. We used custom fields to keep track of estimated time and prices and used the time spent on an issue field as well. But you have to roll your own reports with all the needed logic.

Yi Voon Phan November 26, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Hi Nic, is there any cloud version for tempo folio/tempo budget? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2018

Not that I know of.

0 votes
LaraClaire_Braham December 8, 2021

Hi All, is this still the case in 2021? still no feature on Jira that allows for reporting on billable time of a project based off the recorded hours tracked on stories?

0 votes
Robert Johnstone June 9, 2014

I would be interested in how to incorporate billing as well

Suggest an answer