Tracking changes in "Planned for" field

Ofra October 3, 2017

I need to track bugs that have been moved from one "planned for" release to another. Is there a way to do that through filters?

Example- Bug 123 was planned for 1.0 release. We had moved it out to 2.0 release. Can I set a filter that will catch all bugs that have moved from one planned release to another?

Thanks,

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 4, 2017

Yes and No.  If you were using the native "fixVersion" field in Jira to track this data, then Yes.  You can use historical operators such as WAS on that specific field in order to find out if an issue previously had a specific value on that field.  The Advanced Searching Fields Reference explains this is possible.   And example JQL could be something like:

fixVersion WAS "Version 1.0"

However if you were using a custom field of type version, or a custom text field to store this data, unfortunately the answer appears to be No.  These other fields do not appear to currently be able to track those kinds of historical changes.

There is a feature request to add the ability in Jira to track this kind of information for all fields in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-30663

From reading the comments on that feature request, it looks like there might be a plugin for Jira called the SQL for Jira Driver: Convert JQL to SQL, this plugin appears to allow you to search for historical issue data in a SQL format.   I realize that might not be ideal for what you are looking for here, but I don't believe that Jira will be able to natively search through JQL for these kinds of custom fields for this information at this time.

Ofra October 6, 2017

Thanks for the response!
unfortunately, no- we're not using the native "fixVersion"....

Suggest an answer