Tracking Unplanned Work

Leigh Renda December 11, 2017

Looking for suggestions on the best way for tracking unplanned work so that it's visible to the business.  Some of the members of my team serve as the dedicated pipeline for production support .  This means at any time (which is frequent) their attention is pulled from sprint work due due to a production issue.  I'm new to this company and I coming from a business with strict agile practices so I'm aware this will make sprint commitment meaningless.  

We want to start tracking the unplanned work so that it's visible to the business.  For now I'm simply using labels "Unplanned Work" because I can at least filter on this but does anyone have better suggestions?    

2 answers

1 vote
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2017

The method you're using is OK.

Note that the Sprint Report will show scope changes, so adding a bug to an already started sprint will be noticeable.

If you have ScriptRunner, then you can use this JQL function, which would remove the need for labelling issues added to a sprint after its start:

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/jql-functions.html#_addedaftersprintstart

Leigh Renda December 11, 2017

Thank you for replying - 

When you mention "scope" are you referring to the scope of the feature work within the sprint?  These "production issues" do  not necessarily pertain to the feature work we are working in the sprint.  90% of the time this will be an issue with the current day software running in prod and our sprint work pertains to a brand new project (not yet released).  Knowing that, would you still suggest this this method above?  

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2017

Nope, being that the case, labelling the issues you need to keep track of is the best approach :)

0 votes
Michael Fahrun August 7, 2018

Hi there. so i have already seen reports stating out the stories of that were pulled after sprint start.

however I am just not able to find this report anymore. If this report is somehow not exisiting in all cases, yet i would go with the approaches described in this article.

Thanks for your help

Suggest an answer