Trace Workflow option?

KP11
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2013

Is there anyway to trace a workflow? Toggle through so we can tell where the failure point is in real time?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2013

Read the issue history?

Forgive, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "trace" or what you are looking for (i.e. what's a "failure"?)

KP11
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2013

The workflow was ignoring the auto assign copy field to field post condition.

History below was just blank

made changes - Today 9:37 AM
Status Open [ 1 ] Assigned [ 10020 ]
John Smith made changes - Today 9:37 AM
Status Assigned [ 10020 ] Development Started [ 10021 ]
John Smith made changes - Today 9:37 AM

Status Development Started [ 10021 ] Review [ 10026 ]
Fixed Date 25/Feb/13
Assignee Sam Jones [ SJones ]
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2013

Ok, well that's answered most of the question - if it's "ignoring the auto assign", then there's something wrong there.

However, I'm not sure what you mean, or what you've got set up. "Auto assign copy field to field post condition" doesn't really gel - "auto assign" is one function in Jira, "copy field to field" is (I am assuming) a function that you've got from a plugin? And a "condition" is something else which doesn't do anything to issues, it controls access to them. So I'm unclear.

My best guess is that:

• you have a plugin that provides a field copy from one field to another
  • you have set up a field that holds a user (let's call this field AUser for now)
  • you have a post-function on your workflow that tries to use this field-to-field copy to set the assignee from AUser

Three things

• Is AUser a single user picker field? If it's not, then a simple field-to-field copy is unlikely to work, as a user object is NOT the same as a string.
  • Is the target user a valid user in the system?
  • Is the target user assignable in that project?

Finally, the log file is likely to tell you what is failing.

KP11
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2013

Its the Jira extension options :

Answers below

• you have a plugin that provides a field copy from one field to another YES
  • you have set up a field that holds a user (let's call this field AUser for now) YES
  • you have apost-functionon your workflow that tries to use this field-to-field copy to set the assignee from AUser YES
  • Is AUser a single user picker field? If it's not, then a simple field-to-field copy is unlikely to work, as a user object is NOT the same as a string. SINGLE USER
  • Is the target user a valid user in the system? YES
  • Is the target user assignable in that project? YES

It was a custom field value *Reviewer instead of REVIEWER. The asterisk had to be included in pulddown. It was not in the logs so we wanted to trace the workflow(Toggle)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 25, 2013

So you'd set up the post-function to use a field that did not exist (because it had been renamed). I'd expect the logs to have thrown some form of "unable to find field" error.

But you got there :-) Nice one!

Suggest an answer