Touch parent when a subtask gets touched

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2015

Is there a more eloquent way to achieve this (see title above) as a Cloud customer? Since the parent's 'Updated' field does not get touched when a subtask is touched, I've klujed this which allows me to listen to parents for changes made based on state changes down below on subtasks, and use this trigger to perform other post processing I'm doing with the data outside of JIRA through other integrations I've built.

1. Create custom field of type, Date/Time Picker, and call it "Check".
  2. Add the new "Check" field to all parent issues and subtasks.
  3. Modify all transitions in all workflows to include (in this order):
    1. inserting a post function that sets the current date/time (%%CURRENT_DATETIME%%) on the "Check" field on the current subtask.
    2. inserting a post function that copies the value of "Check" field to the parent's "Check" field.

1 answer

0 votes
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2015

Hi Paul,

I believe that's pretty much the only way to achieve that. As a possible alternative, you might want to use the post function that transitions the parent issue, that would change the 'Updated' field in the parent issue. Please see Moving a Sub-Task to In Progress does not Transition its Parent's to the Same Status for more details about this.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Clarissa.

Suggest an answer