Touch drag and drop in Jira no longer working

Fredrik Carlbom November 8, 2018

We have our daily stand ups at a big touch screen and sometimes we use that screen to move issues, the problem is that dragging issues no longer works using touch, not on that screen or on my personal computer, it still works to drag using a mouse.

The strange thing is that we have not updated Jira during this period, I see no windows update, it is the same behaviour in all browsers and touch in other web sites works as before. Therefore I suspect Jira being the problem here.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be, is there a magic setting that we should check or does our on premise install automatically upgrade some parts?

JIRA v7.9.2

JIRA Agile v7.9.0-DAILY20180507130711

5 answers

2 votes
Francois Descamps November 16, 2018

Unfortunately, I don't have a solution so far.

But I am facing the exact same situation since last week with Jira v7.11.2.

Does anyone has a clue how to solve this issue?

Francois Descamps November 20, 2018

Solved it!

We use chrome as a web browser. In the expertimental settings, there are options to manage touch actions.

• Open a new tab, go to chrome://flags
  • Change Touch Events API to Enabled

And it works!

Like # people like this
Fredrik Carlbom November 20, 2018

It works fine here too, thank you!

Thomas Herbstreuth March 8, 2019

Works! Thank you, made my day :-)

Anders Dyhrberg April 15, 2019

Same for me. Worked like a charm. Thanks.

Steffen Beck June 13, 2019

Is there also a solution for firefox? 

Like neil walcuch likes this
Francois Descamps June 24, 2019

Unfortunately, I don't know any solution for Firefox. My company only enables me to use Chrome :'(

neil walcuch July 17, 2019

Edge (I am a Firefiox user) appears to work. We are forbidden to have Chrome installed!

I tried updating as suggested in this link , but no success...

https://mspoweruser.com/how-to-set-up-firefox-quantums-interface-for-windows-tablets/

ckleinhuis November 19, 2019

people, this is still a thing, touch events not interpreted for drag and drop operations, in tablet mode not working for windows :(

Like Tom Heisterkamp likes this
Tom Heisterkamp November 20, 2019

Agree, I tried several browsers including the tips with Chrome, mentioned before. With a mouse you can drag & drop an issue, but not by touch.

Anders Dyhrberg November 20, 2019

Touch eventes in browsers are a completely seperate set of events. Atlassian needs to handle them additionally to the mouse events in order for it to work. If it is not implemented correctly there is not much we can do other than the chrome fix and wait. 

Like Tom Heisterkamp likes this
Tom Heisterkamp December 2, 2019

I am still waiting :-)

Fredrik Carlbom December 12, 2019

This solution no longer works :(

Francisco Correa December 20, 2019

Any chance there is a solution for Jamboard Google? 

0 votes
Raul van der Raaf December 8, 2021

We had the same issue with our boards, using Jira Cloud.
After booking an incident/bug and having done some troubleshooting together with Atlassian Premium Support, the conclusion came out that Jira doesn't provide touch screen support yet....

Quitte a bummer when you want to do your daily in front of a big TV-like touch screen.
Anyway, a suggestion was made to implement this feature, so please vote for it if it interests you, regardless if you use Jira Cloud or Jira Server.

More information about the feature request can be found here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-22130

0 votes
charliepsycho May 14, 2021

Jira doesn't appear to work on a touch interface still... Microsoft Planner Works, as does Visual studio online (TFS) so it can be done, it's just Jira we cant use on our daily standup. 

0 votes
Fredrik Carlbom February 17, 2020

Suddenly it started to work for us, using latest Chrome and Jira 8.5.1 we can now drag and drop using touch... I cannot explain why!

0 votes
Francois Descamps November 25, 2019

In Windows 10:

1. create a Chrome shortcut on the desktop (or anywhere else)
  2. right click on your browser icon shortcut
  3. click on: Properties
  4. set the Target to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --touch-events
  5. Optionnally
    • right click on the browser icon shortcut
    • click on: Pin to taskbar
Tom Heisterkamp November 27, 2019

Sorry to say, but it doesn't work for me. I have a touchscreen but still need a mouse to drag an issue in the sprint backlog.

JamesS December 18, 2019

I have found the fix described by FD to work on 8 touchscreen computers. A space is required between the  " and the first dash. Easy to miss. 

The fix seems to get overridden with the next Chrome up-date. Is there any way to solve this permanently? We have a big investment in touchscreens used in conjunction with Jira and this "bug" is causing our team serious problems.   

Like # people like this
Niclas Strandeus January 10, 2020

Same problem here, it worked flawlessly for us until after x-mas leave, then it stopped. Scrolling works but not drag and drop. Works with FD's solution but it feels like an unneccesary workaround..

Roy Hendriks February 17, 2020

Still no sollution. Tried on Chrome, IE and Firefox. It seems to be an Atlassian issue and not a browser problem but i can't figur out the details. The bigscreen i would like to use it on is a sharp pn70sc5, Strangly enough it does work on the touchscreen of my cellphone (Samsung A8).

Suggest an answer