Total size of all attachments on jira

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2014

Hi Everyone

Our jira instance (6.1) has been active for years, and we observe that the total size of attachments on the server is over 200GB and still growing at a rapid pace.

What i want to ask is that will a massive total attachment size slow down my jira instance?

Has anyone experienced it?

I have no issues in explanding the disk space from 200GB to say 1TB but want to confirm there is no limitation from jira side of it.

Rahul

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Luciano Fagundes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2014

Rahul

Since the attachements are stored on a system folder instead the database you won't have any performance issues with it. You can also limit the attachements upload size as well. For more informaton regarding this matter you may refer our documentation below. Hope it helps!

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+File+Attachments

Cheers

Luciano Fagundes

0 votes
fbeck_br February 12, 2015

users can use splited zip file or rar file.

they take a 500MB file and split it into 50 files (10MB each one) and upload 50 files.

users are very smart.

0 votes
Anoop Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2014

My instance is already reached 250 GB.But I don't think this will make any performance issue.But you can disable/exclude this folder from the antivirus scan to increase the speed while accessing.

Also you can limit the attachment size per issue to 10MB.So users will not uplaod any bog files to the issues.

Suggest an answer