Topline view of time spent vs estimated on a project in Dashboard

Leslie Rois-Burrows September 6, 2017

Hi, 

As a project manager, it is crucial that I can quickly view the progress of a project. In particular, if we are on track with the original estimated time, or if we will run out of hours and lose money for it, or if we need to ask the client for more money. 

Currently, I can set up filters but I would have to go into each individual filter to check this progress. As I am managing various projects at a time, it is time-consuming to have to check through every filter to check our progress. I would like to be able to see a time estimated vs time spent bar in my dashboard to quickly see how we are doing on a project. I have tried every dashboard gadget but to no avail. The Two Dimensional Filter Statistics is probably the closest display of what I am looking for, as it tallies up the results at the bottom, but there is no option to select time-log or any time related fields. I do not need assignee information or time to resolution. Likewise, if it was only presented in a diagram that shows time estimated vs spent, as it does in the reports, it would be incredibly useful. 

We chose Jira as the pricing was convenient and it offered the ability to log time so I would ideally like to find a solution which would not require us to purchase any add-ons.

Thanks! Leslie

1 answer

0 votes
Suhas P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2017

If you are working with sprints, there is Sprint Burndown graph that shows the actual and estimated amount of work to be done in a sprint. It also has dashboard gadget. Find more information here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/using-a-board/using-reports/viewing-the-burndown-chart

Leslie Rois-Burrows September 6, 2017

Hi, 

We are using Jira Core, not Jira Software so we don't have access to Agile, meaning we cannot create scum boards to then create the spring burntdown graph from the scum board. 

Thanks for the advice though.

Suhas P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2017

Perhaps you can consider using Time tracking fields 'Original Estimate' and 'Remaining estimate'. 

Then you can use dashboard gadget 'Filter results' where you can add these two fields as Column to display which will then show how much was original estimationa and how much is remaining.

You ca refer this documantaion,

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver074/logging-work-on-issues-921047228.html

Suggest an answer