Too many users created

Kyle Schuetz June 28, 2012

I am currently configuring email handlers for issue creation in JIRA based on support mailboxes we set up on our exchange server. Our user accounts are based on Active Directory credentials and to create an account a user logs into JIRA using their Active Directory ID and password. However, I am running into a problem where unless I choose the option create user id on the email handler, the handler does not parse the email and create an issue. When I do select the create user functionality, if the user has not already logged in with their Active Directory credentials, JIRA creates a user account based on the email address and not the Active Directory information. Once the user logs in with their Active Directory information, another account is created. My first thought is to have everyone that will be emailing the support mailboxes log into JIRA with their Active Directory credentials before they send any support requests so they will be in the system . Can anyone think of a way to potentially merge the two accounts that are created when a user sends a support request before they have ever logged into JIRA? Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2012

Hi Kyle,

So you want to receive an email and lookup in AD that email to find the associated userid, and if it exists use it, and if not, create a user with the right email address but using the LDAP userid.

The ability to locate an Alternate ID for a given email address is something that the JEMH mail handler had up to 0.9.9.x, this feature has yet to have the UI-glue written to support it. I'm actually currently working on the LDAP side of things to re-establish this feature.

Please watch https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/browse/JEMH-706 for progress.

Suggest an answer