Too Many Add-Ons Causing Jira Software To Perform Slowly

Karrie Dash June 27, 2017

Has anyone had issues with Jira loading issues extremely slowly possibly due to too many add-ons installed?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2017

Yes, in the past.  There are three main things that happen

1.  Each add-on you have chews up a little memory permanently, even if it's disabled.  When they're active, they all cause the JVM to use more resources, as they're doing more than plain JIRA does.  The effect of that can be negligble, but in some cases when an add-on is trying to do a lot, for many usrs, that can be significant.

2.  Some add-ons can conflict with others.  It's unusual, but I have seen cases where the disabling of either A or B can massively improve performance

3.  Badly written add-ons can cause issues, especially with caching.  I could wave at some examples, but the best example I ran into was the one I wrote before I knew enough about caching and writing stuff in Java...

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2017

Less likely to be a problem in JIRA Cloud but can still occur

Karrie Dash August 23, 2017

What would our team need to do to resolve issue #1?

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2017

Disable as many add-ons as you can.

Suggest an answer