Tomcat uses 100% cpu after jira upgrade

KestutisK August 19, 2014

Hi guys,

While using Jira 6 and so on, I've had no such problems, but after upgrade from Jira 6.3 to Jira 6.3.4, immediately tomcat started using all CPU (2 virtual cpu's) full (almost 100%). When no one is using Jira, cpu (tomcat) usage is about ~2% and when any jira user opens any page, usage immediately jumps to 80% - 100% percents untill page is loaded and dear God it takes a looong time to load that page. Even though the page is only pressed to "reload". Using processexp showed that the problem is that tomcat creats MSVCR100.dll threads (~100 threads) that overuse cpu. After searching for any solutions i've increased jira Java memory sizes as follows:

set JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY=384m

set JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY=3768m

Although, there are a lot suggestions what to do, being an average computer administrator i do not actually know where to begin and what i need to find in catalina logs or so. Also, I didnt quiet understand how to make a dump file for this problem.

Virtual Machine Windows 7

4 GB Ram

2 CPU's

Jira version 6.3.4

Only 1 application running on Tomcat 7

Can anyone direct me to the solution? Catalina.log: http://pastebin.com/VpgpFsvQ.

3 answers

1 vote
Mike August 19, 2014

I'm facing exactly the same issue as you described. And I ended up did a OS recovery to my daily disk restore point which has an earlier JIRA version of 6.1.

Thanks for an answer, i'm afraid that i would have to do the same but that's just nonsense.

Mike August 20, 2014

Maybe it's worth to submit a bug for this?

Forgot to mention my server config is:

Windows Server 2012

16G Ram

4 Cores

Jira Version 6.3.4

0 votes

Appearantly, Jira installation setup is shipped without some very importat java config parameters, such as:

-Dorg.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContentImpl.LIMIT_BUFFER=true

-Dmail.mime.decodeparameters=true

Adding those to the Tomcat ( https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Setting+Properties+and+Options+on+Startup) helped to free about 15% cpu which does a bit of a trick.

Also, i ran the Jira log scanner and it also showed same errors to fix and docummentation to them.

0 votes

How come I changed Memory sizes in setenv.bat but still Systeminfo shows:

JVM Input Arguments -Dcatalina.home=C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA -Dcatalina.base=C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA -Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\endorsed -Djava.io.tmpdir=C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\temp -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager -Djava.util.logging.config.file=C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\conf\logging.properties -XX:MaxPermSize=384m exit -Xms128m -Xmx256m

Suggest an answer