Tomcat Not Starting

Goutham April 7, 2013

Hi,

When I'm installing JIRA on my machine, It is showing me that JIRA Installation is successful but the tomcat server is not starting. When clicked on done button on the last window of JIRA installation it is directing to the browser and it displaying a message as "Browser could not connect to the local host."

Please help me out in this issue.

Thanks In Advance,

Goutham..!!!

3 answers

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2013

common problems:

The server

- is the tomcat java process actually running, check the logs for some output, perhaps you dont have a Java runtime installed

- you have another tomcat on the machine which is grabbing the default :8005 ports required (not just :8080)

- you have a software firewall present preventing off-box traffic, prove this by 'telnet localhost 8080' from the box, if it connects, the service is running, if not, see above.

Firewalls

- If you cannot do the 'telnet server 8080' off-box, then you may well have a firewall problem

Proxies

- Your local browser may have proxy settings that dont allow your server to be reached. If the telnet connection can be made, this may be the problem.

0 votes
Davet April 7, 2013

Goutham...you need to be giving a lot more detail and not jumping to conclusions.

e.g you say that "tomcat could not start" then "could not connect to localhost" which are not necessarily the same thing.

On windows you need to see the active ports with something like "netstat -ban"

You need to check your catalina logs for error messages to see if Tomacat does actually start or not and the possibility that you have a network/port issue

There are many other possibilities. More detail!

0 votes
Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2013

Are there any entries in the log file. If yes, can you have a look at it, also paste it here.

Suggest an answer