To plugin, or not to plugin...

Niels Frederiksen September 26, 2017

Hi, I am trying to re-create a Atlassian Connect add-on for JIRA Server but I am not sure where to start.

I have created an add-on for JIRA Cloud which takes care of synchronizing data between JIRA and another project management tool (Forecast.it).

It does this by subscribing to a list of Webhooks which I use to send the data to Forecast, and I then use the data from the add-on installation handshake to send JWT authenticated requests back to JIRA.

Now, as I said, I need to do the same for JIRA Server.

I have been looking at the Plugins 2 framework and I can't figure out if it is possible to subscribe to webhooks via a P2 plugin the same way as you can with a Connect add-on.

Does it even make sense to create a plugin to mimic the functionality of my cloud add-on, or should I just create a polling service that uses the REST api to synchronize the two systems?

2 answers

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2017

Niels, the P2 add-on runs within JIRA so I think using webhooks to communicate within the same JVM would be overcomplication.

Instead I suggest you implement a listener that intercepts JIRA's internal events. This is a completely standard and stable even multicasting mechanism in JIRA, so safe to build upon.

See this tutorial: https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-platform/guides/other/tutorial-writing-jira-event-listeners-with-the-atlassian-event-library

0 votes
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2017

Hi, Niels - I don't have an answer for you, unfortunately, but just wanted to let you know that there is also an Atlassian Developers community site dedicated to developing add-ons, etc.

https://developer.atlassian.com/community/

Might try posting your question there, too. :)

Niels Frederiksen September 26, 2017

Thanks! I will post my question there.

Suggest an answer