To plugin, or not to plugin...

Hi, I am trying to re-create a Atlassian Connect add-on for JIRA Server but I am not sure where to start.

I have created an add-on for JIRA Cloud which takes care of synchronizing data between JIRA and another project management tool (Forecast.it).

It does this by subscribing to a list of Webhooks which I use to send the data to Forecast, and I then use the data from the add-on installation handshake to send JWT authenticated requests back to JIRA.

Now, as I said, I need to do the same for JIRA Server.

I have been looking at the Plugins 2 framework and I can't figure out if it is possible to subscribe to webhooks via a P2 plugin the same way as you can with a Connect add-on.

Does it even make sense to create a plugin to mimic the functionality of my cloud add-on, or should I just create a polling service that uses the REST api to synchronize the two systems?

2 answers

0 vote
Alex Christensen Community Champion Sep 26, 2017

Hi, Niels - I don't have an answer for you, unfortunately, but just wanted to let you know that there is also an Atlassian Developers community site dedicated to developing add-ons, etc.

https://developer.atlassian.com/community/

Might try posting your question there, too. :)

Thanks! I will post my question there.

0 vote

Niels, the P2 add-on runs within JIRA so I think using webhooks to communicate within the same JVM would be overcomplication.

Instead I suggest you implement a listener that intercepts JIRA's internal events. This is a completely standard and stable even multicasting mechanism in JIRA, so safe to build upon.

See this tutorial: https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-platform/guides/other/tutorial-writing-jira-event-listeners-with-the-atlassian-event-library

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,300 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot