Tips on cleaning up a bloated jira instance?

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2012

Hi,

I've been running Jira for over 6 years -- and I have a tons of projects, issues, custom fields, plugins, etc.

I am looking for any tips on cleaning up my instance. I know how to find old issues. But what I am looking for is:

1. Projects that haven't been used since a certain amount of time

2. custom fields that aren't being used (either associated with a project, or associated with an issue)

3. Email handlers that aren't being used

4. Listeners that aren't being used

5. Services that aren't being used

6. General DB clean-up tips -- for example, my instance has over 12 million lines in the notificationinstance table!

As for removing issues in bulk, or notificationinstance -- I usually just delete stuff via sql query, then run an integrity check to fix any fallout -- not ideal (and this has only been done in test instances).

I have 180,000 issues or so spread across 100+ projects. Nightmare. :)

Any tips appreciated!

1 answer

0 votes
Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 30, 2013

Regarding unused projects, you could search for issues for created date or updated date for the past several weeks or months. I think custom fields can be search via Issue Navigator as well.

Suggest an answer