Tips for better JIRA Issues(Improving What's on your issue)

Luis Mayora
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2013

Hi,

I am sure that this happens in any organization in which users create tickets in a way that they are not very consistent, complete, coherent and it is very difficult to understand "What is the problem" from within the information published on a JIRA issue.

Does anybody has guideline document to improve the way users create jira issues? Of course, this is not a jira specific question but wondering is something out there that any one can share.

Often I see issues that seem that reflect activities that will never end and people think that they are just placeholders for comments which is not what i am planning to use JIRA for.

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2013

I'm sure you will get some better suggestions than this, but from the Atlassian perspective when we create feature/improvement requests we always start with:

"As a xxxx I would like this functionality because xxx yyy zzz reasons"

This helps the developer to try to see the requirements fromt the perspective of the end user, so we often pose as the end user even though we're not the end user at all.

Another option would be to use templates, (maybe on a Confluence page or similar), so that your reporters are aware of what is expected from them and the information that they need to provide. However, I think that in the end the challenge is to configure a unform approach and that means getting all your users following the same practices, even if they're not the best ones.

I hope that helps a little,
John

Suggest an answer