Timezone of Reporter and Support Team are different in Service Desk. How can make that visible?

Saumya Jain November 4, 2019

The timezones of the reporter who is raising a ticket and the support are different.

Eg. The customer is sitting in New York while the support is sitting in India. 

Now, the customer wants to give a due date for the completion of the ticket. However, there is no option to mention Timezone. It is taking the timezone of the application set in General Configuration. There is no option to mention the timezone in custom fields also. 

The only option remains is by giving the timezone in Summary. 

I am using JIRA Cloud. Is there any resolution to this problem?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2019

Hello @Saumya Jain

Thank you for reaching out.

I understand that you would like to allow your customers to inform the due date of the related ticket together with its related timezone. Is it correct?

Could you please elaborate a little bit more on why the mentioning of the timezone in a custom field would not be an option for you? I believe this would be a good way to clearly inform the customer timezone.

apart from that, the own customer can set their timezone by performing the steps below:

- Click on his profile picture at the top-right corner > Profile

- Click to Edit Preferences > Set his Timezone to New York:

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 19.03.00.png

This will make the due date display on the new york timezone for the customer, while it will display with the proper corrections to India timezone for your Support team. 

Let me know if this information helps.

Saumya Jain November 7, 2019

Hi @Petter Gonçalves ,

Thanks for the update.

The timezone can be changed from preferences od user profile. However, the timezone is different for clients and the reporters are the same. Hence, the use case becomes that one client is in US(New York) and other in Europe, while the reporter is sitting in US (Chicago). Then just to log different due dates, changing user profiles is not a very viable solution.

I hope, I was able to explain the dilemma in using the solution.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2019

Hello Saumya,

Thank you for your answer.

Allow me to go further into the information you provided so we can be on the same page:

About this statement:

the timezone is different for clients and the reporters are the same. Hence, the use case becomes that one client is in US(New York) and other in Europe, while the reporter is sitting in US (Chicago).

It seems that you have more than a single client watching the issue, each one in one part of the globe (Chicago, New York, and Europe). Can you please provide us how you added the users to the issue? Have you used the request participant fields?

About this statement:

Then just to log different due dates, changing user profiles is not a very viable solution.

Actually, only just a single due date would need to be added to the issue. Based on the timezone of each user (Reporter, Client, Agent), the due date will appear with a different value. There is no need to set multiple due date fields.

I can not clearly understand why this would not be a solution for you. Can you please provide us with an example of where this would not be viable?

Let me know your thoughts.

Saumya Jain November 7, 2019

Hi @Petter Gonçalves ,

The clients ask the sales guys (or the client's support team) to raise a ticket. These Sales Guys raises and the ticket is directly assigned to the Support Team of the Product.

Now, these Sales Guys are shared resources among various clients. So, the due date for the different clients could be different, while the product support team is sitting in one place.

The client's support team (Sales Guys) are added in multiple organizations as customers in the service desk and hence are able to log a ticket for the individual client.

Hopefully, I was able to explain the case.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
November 8, 2019

Hello @Saumya Jain

Thank you a lot for your detailed answer and patience.

Indeed, I understood that your end customers (From different locations) usually do not create tickets in your support portal directly, but ask their respective support team to do that (Possibly by phone).

With that information, I believe the easiest way to identify the customer timezone would be by creating a new required text custom field called "Customer due date and timezone".

Since text fields are not updated with the standard timezone of the JIRA site, your team will be able to clearly calculate what is the due date time in your current timezone.

Please, let me know if this information makes sense.

Saumya Jain November 8, 2019

Hi @Petter Gonçalves ,

Yes, that makes sense. Honestly, I believe that this feature should be there in the future in Service Desk - Mention Timezone during giving Due Date. For now, your reply answers my question. 

Thanks!

Suggest an answer