Timeout using ScriptRunner

moenchj March 22, 2019

Hi,

when using the enhanced search of scriptrunner cloud I often run into the issue, that it raises the error message:

"Search parsing timed out. You probably have a subquery that returns too many issues."

Can anyone tell me what the limitations are and if it is possible to change them?

The query is actually running for about 10 seconds before the message is raised.

Thank you in advance for the answers

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2019

Hi Jochen,

Thank you for your question.

I can confirm that the "Search parsing timed out. You probably have a subquery that returns too many issues." error which you are receiving indicates that the sub queries for the JQL functions returns too many issues.

Unfortunately we can only execute queries for a maximum of 30 seconds before timing them out as well as being able to only fetch 100 issues at a time.

In order to overcome this error we would advise that you make your subquery more restrictive, so that it returns less issues. in order to complete within the timeout period. 

One way that you could look to restrict the query would be to look at limiting the query to only return the issues inside a certain project or to return only issues updated within a certain timeframe. 

You can see more details on how the enhanced search functionality works inside of ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud in the documentation page here.

If this response has answered your question can you please mark it as accepted so that other users can see it is correct when searching for similar answers.

Regards,

Kristian

Jose Solorio May 24, 2019

Kristian, I have experienced the same problem with searches in my team. Is there any way to adjust the timeout limit to more than 30 seconds? I have tried to narrow down my search results but for some searches I just can't avoid it and need to be able to search across 24k jira issues. Is there a way to change this 30 second max limit?

Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2019

Hi Jose,

I can confirm that unfortunately, it is not possible to increase the time out limit for the enhanced search functionality due to the restricted nature in which we execute the searches in a sandbox environment.

This means that you will need to restrict your query to return fewer issues and have multiple search queries if you need to search for a lot of issues.

Regards,

Kristian

VVeider July 30, 2019

What the f***k?

We have about 1000 issues in release, and want to filter them by different links or some other criteria — and you tell me that you can process only 100 issues?

What are you getting paid for?

Like # people like this
Kathie Wright May 17, 2021

I was getting the error as well. I had created 4 filters in scriptrunner, and found if the Filter names were only one word with no spaces, versus a couple of words with spaces I would not get the error.

2 votes
Joshua Carr January 25, 2024

The restrictions on enhanced search described here also make it borderline useless for me.

0 votes
Balvant Biradar January 20, 2023

We are also facing same issue and hope Adaptivist will fix soon
This needs to be fixed soon else data center is best option

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events