Time zone of comments in JIRA Service Desk

Steven Jirjis October 14, 2016

If someone in EDT comments on a ticket, and I in PDT make a comment, what time stamp will we see of both comments being that said time zones have a 3 hour gap?

Ideally, I'd love to know the original time zone of the comment (so I could easily know what time zone my client is in) and have a converted time zone (so I can quickly identify the time gap between comments). 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2016

The timezone displayed in JIRA will be determined by the user preferences but the value stored in the database will be determined by what timezone is set on the database.

Out of the box JIRA will not give you the ability to tell what timezone any individual comment was written in. However it may be possible through the use of some scripts to add additional metadata to a comment identifying which timezone the issue was written in but it would be embedded within the comment.  Also as you are operating in a cloud based environment you are restricted in terms of which plugins are available.

Suggest an answer