Time tracking on sub-tasks

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2015

HI All

We are stuck in a time tracking issue on jira.

We usually estimate our stories in days and later on the stories are broken down in tens of sub-tasks. Each developers again estimates each of the sub-tasks and logs time on sub-tasks

What it effectively means is that the total estimate gets over-inflated because we are counting the estimate twice (once on parent story and then again on sub-tasks).

Things get even more complicated when you run agile, and due to this the burndown get over-inflated.

What is the possible solution to our problem of double counting of estimates?

Rahul

13 answers

7 votes
Peter Vogel July 25, 2018

It's kind of astounding to me that this is still a problem. The closest thing I've seen resembling an answer was a comment in another thread to the effect of, "Atlassian uses the assumptions of Scrum, which means you don't include sub-tasks in estimates. This makes no sense at all to me - we don't all work in pure Scrum environments. Some of us just want a way of quickly showing the totals of all the work involved in an Epic. Atlassian, please pay attention.

5 votes
Roman Gaufman April 8, 2019

Any update on this? - I want the total time estimate to reflect what's in the sub tasks :(

1 vote
Robert Giezen September 3, 2020

We are also struggeling with this. Why time is not rolled up from subtasks and added to the time of the parent task. We are using next gen assuming its better.

1 vote
Mickey Perlstein July 28, 2019

Our solution is to remove timetracking on the task and remove original est. in sub tasks, then calculation bleeds through

1 vote
Alexey Skorikov March 24, 2015

Hi, I'd like to understand how this should work correctly too.

0 votes
Roshan Milinda December 2, 2020

Any update on this?

0 votes
Roman Gaufman July 25, 2020

We have gotten tired of waiting for this and switched to ClickUp, it has burndown charts, velocity charts, estimate roll-up for subtasks, time-tracking roll-up for subtask (as well as better time tracking) - Jira is still more feature-rich, but we are extremely happy after switching to ClickUp

0 votes
Craig Brunetti July 23, 2020

In multiple companies, our use of JIRA Issues (Story, Task, Bug) includes having SubTasks under each. We run Scrum, so Issues get StoryPoints (not times), and SubTasks get hours (estimates and actuals).

People who are assigned SubTasks, make comments on their work, add assets to their work, and log hours for their work, all in their SubTask. Aggregation should be satisfied by reporting, not process.

0 votes
Lucio Antonio López Prado July 16, 2020

One year later and nothing. I really frustrating. 

0 votes
Hector Gomes June 4, 2019

There's some update for this issue?
This is a kind of thing which is surreal do not be fixed yet. I saw requests since 2012.

0 votes
Vasu Bangera April 16, 2015

Hello, I came to know that this issue persists in all JIRA Instances, can anyone suggest me any workaround that can be followed. Regards, Vasu

0 votes
Vasu Bangera March 31, 2015

Hello,

Any update on this query. Any workaround which we can use for now?

Have the issues been resolved? 

Can anyone please provide more information on this.

Regards, 

Vasu

0 votes
petry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 30, 2015

Hey Rahul,

There are some requests in https://jira.atlassian.com regarding the estimation in subtasks:

Some of them (last two) have some workarounds suggested in the comments, which might be helpful for your case.

Hope it helps!

Cheers,
Andre 

Vasu Bangera April 16, 2015

Hello, I came to know that this issue persists in all JIRA Instances, can anyone suggest me any workaround that can be followed. Regards, Vasu

Suggest an answer