Time tracking JIRA - Fix working day interval on old issues

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2013

Hi All

At present on my JIRA instance the time tracking settings is set to 1 day = 24 hours.

Which means, for an issue (original estimate of 1 working day) if someone logs work for 8 hours (which is effectively one working day), the system still displays 16 hours in remaining hours.

I understand that the fix is to go to time tracking and amend the setting to 1 day = 8 hours. But, if I do that the system screws up the original estimates for all issues.

If I make this change an old issue (with an earlier original estimate of 3 days) after the change now starts showing an original estimate of 9 days (since the esimate is stored in seconds and was earlier divided by 24 to get days but now is getting divided by 8 and hence tripled).

How do i get round this problem?

I have checked the option of jelly scripts and I could not find a solution using jelly.

Any ideas guys?

Rahul

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2013

The way we fixed it was applied the change and then manually updated the estimates. Fortunately we only had 200 odd issues affected by this bug so was fixed ina couple of hours.

Rahul

0 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2013

The default in JIRA to my knowledge has always been 8 hours, so at somepoint someone changed it to 24.

You would have to use the issue navigator to target all issues with an estimate > 8 hours estimated during the window when it was changed, and re-estimate those tasks.

You could most like do this with a jelly script, or an external script using the REST interface.

I understand it may not be the magic bullet you were looking for, but I am not aware of any other way.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2013

It seems that the 24 hour 7 days a week configuration is there from the very beginning. Is there a quick way (runing query against database) of updating the work logged (in my case multiplying it by 3) for all issues on JIRA?

Rahul

Suggest an answer