Time to reindex

Katarina Larsson September 8, 2013

Hi,
I'd like to know the time frame for a reindex.
I've made a lot of additions regarding custom fields and need to do a reinex.
I realise that the time is depending on size of the installation.
We are running Jira OnDemand and last backup (including attachmens) took about 25min.
What kind of time frame are we talking about for a reindex? 10min/1hour or more?
Kind regards,
Katarina

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 8, 2013

Katarina,

An OnDemand reindex can be done in the Background or Locking Jira.

If you have a message on your instance saying you should reindex, go ahead and try the Background reindex first. That won't cause any downtime and then you'll know that the Lock Jira reindex will take less than that.

In my experience reindexing, what Udo says is about right: 2 minutes for 4000.

Also have in mind that on OnDemand your instance gets reindexed automatically after maintenance.

If you are having other problems you may contact support.atlassian.com

Cheers!

mlassau_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2014

Good answer, but I want to clarify just one point:

Also have in mind that on OnDemand your instance gets reindexed automatically after maintenance.

This is not quite true.
Sometimes a maintenance upgrade may do a re-index, but most often it is not required.

0 votes
Katarina Larsson September 8, 2013

Thanks!

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2013

Well I can give you only two examples 4000 Issue takes about 1-2 min., 18000 issues takes 7-8 min.

Suggest an answer