Time out bug in JIRA

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2013

Hi All

We all are aware that JIRA times out after 5 hours and asks you to login again if the page is left inactive for more than 5 hours(ver 5.0.2)

The bug I want to report is, say if you have an issue open on your screen, then after 5 hours you come back to the issue and press add comment, the system allows you to add a comment but when you press submit thats when the time out logic gets triggered.

I feel it is a bug with the software as the time out logic should have been triggered right when i press add comment and the system should not have allowed me to enter comment in the first place.

DO we have this bug already registered with JIRA? If not, i will log one.

Is there any workaround to this bug.?

Rahul

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2013

I'm not sure that's directly a bug in Jira, as it applies to all sorts of web based software.

The session times out on the server side. How does the client you've left open know that this has happened? It can't until the next time it tries to contact the server, which is when you press "commit comment". You could try adding some batch of scripting to tell the client to maintain a timer and do something after a certain time (e.g. close the browser window, or jump back to the login screen), but it's a lot of work, for little reward.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2013

Hi NIc. thanks for your comment. I agree with you and will pass on the message to my user.

Rahul

Suggest an answer