Time estimate field is missing.

john.larsen March 7, 2012

Hello,

Seems our version of jira and greenhopper is missing the estimate field that, I thought, was part of jira out of the box. Or with greenhopper.

I am currently running jira 4.3.4 and greenhopper 5.6.5

I have looked in the default field configuration and I do no see estimate or work estimate in the list.

Any ideas? We really need this feature for upcoming sprint.

Thanks!

-Kip

3 answers

3 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2012
Did you turn on time tracking according to http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Time+Tracking ? Please also make sure that the system field time tracking is enabled in your field configuration. more details at http://forums.atlassian.com/thread.jspa?threadID=53084
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2012
A detailled instruction how to add the time tracking fields to a screen can be found here: http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Screen#DefiningaScreen-AddingTimeTrackingcapabilitiestoascreen
Like Edgar Arenas likes this
Glen Berry December 10, 2015

This is a non-answer. I follow the three links on this page and I get led down a rabbit hole with no useful instructions on how to add estimates of time per task before work begins. This is a critical field. I can see that I can log work against an issue and it will reduce time from the estimate - but where is the estimate?

Like Don Storry likes this
WeAreAllJustinNow
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2016

The field is Original Time Estimate on the JIRA tickets. In the Agile UI, it is re-named Estimate and it will appear at the top of the issue details. You should be able to click and edit that field in-line.

Siddharth Srinivasan March 8, 2016

It seems like this is true for Stories, but not Tasks. There does not seem to be a way to add Estimates to Tasks, unless I am missing something obvious. Is the point that all Tasks must be part of a Story, and only Stories have an Estimate, and the Tasks within that Story need not be tracked individually? Its pretty limiting if that is the case..

Like Brianna DeFore likes this
Siddharth Srinivasan March 8, 2016

Woops just answered my own comment. If I change Estimation to "Original Time Estimate" rather than "Story Points", I can now see the Estimate option on tasks as well. This is very un-intuitive. The unit of measuring progress should not dictate whether or not a field is visible in an Issue!

Like # people like this
Dominick DeVito June 8, 2016

I share the same sentiment with everyone in this thread. The WHOLE reason we're using JIRA is to track time estimates against the time logged for each issue, My God it's a PM tool for crying out loud. 

Like # people like this
Krista Phillips September 23, 2016

So Siddharth, how do I change Estimation to original Time Estimate rather than Story Points?

Tommy November 1, 2016

To change the estimation from Story Points to Original Time Estimate, go to the board configuration (not project configuration).

https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/configuring-a-board/configuring-estimation-and-tracking

Karthiga Sethuraj May 16, 2017

Hey Agile Enthusiasts,

I am using Story points as my Estimation Statistic and enabled time tracking to track the progress in sub tasks that contain hourly estimates. Now if PO creates a Task instead of a Story, I will not be enter the Story points to that as the estimate field is not available for Task issue types. So in order to enter storypoint estimation for a Task should I use the custom field - 'Story Points' ? 

But isn't this weird as I have already configured my board to use Story Points as estimation and the Estimate field is actually the story points field in the issue detail view.

My concern is would JIRA consider the story points in the "Estimate" field for "Stories" and the custom field "Story points" for "Tasks" issue types while calculating velocity ?

Your repsonse is appreciated !

Thanks in advance !

Karthiga

Iev Strygul December 9, 2017

I am not sure that this is relevant anymore, but maybe will help other users who search for the same info...

You can indeed add story points to tasks or whatever issue type you like and use it as estimation statistics. Moreover, you can add any other numeric custom field and use as estimation statistics.

Iev

Thomas Robbs April 2, 2019

@Iev Strygul that is only true if you take into consideration the points mentioned above, especially the one by @Siddharth Srini1 where the Board Configuration for Estimation seems to have an odd effect on what Issue Types can be estimated.

In Jira 7.5.0, that configuration still has an odd effect.  I want to believe that in later versions, it does not have the same effect, but I may be wrong - I just haven't seen this until now, but have used many Jira versions before and after 7.5.0.

@dominick devito, I disagree - the whole point of using Jira is to track Issues on a Project.  If you're not doing that, and you really only want to track time, then use a time tracker.  That being said, an added benefit of using Jira to track issues is to also track progress along a project timeline, which can be done with time-based estimates, or time-independent estimates, like Story Points.

2 votes
t_ravichandu February 2, 2016

Just if it helps Estimate can not be changed (and will not be visible during Edit) if the item is in the active sprint.  You have to yank it out of current sprint, 'Estimate' and then add it back to sprint.

1 vote
Andrew Rux December 18, 2017

It seems once you have the custom field Story Points added to the board you also have to ensure that the Issues > Fields > Custom Fields > Story Points > Configure > Default Configuration Scheme for Story Points > Edit Configuration > Choose applicable issue types has the issues types you want to do estimation on selected. I only had Storys and had to select my other issue types.

Suggest an answer