Time Spent Column

Dick Kwon March 23, 2016

Hi Team,

I set up Time Spent column for 'Done" tasks to show a customer how much time we spent on the task, but now showing anything in the column.  Please help.

Enthusiastic JIRA beginner,  Dick

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2016

No, not quite.

Column management is directly related to issue workflow. This has zero bearing on showing time spent or other fields in the database. What you've done is added a new status calledGreentime spent to the workflow and changed the Sprint's definition of done to the Greentime spent status. In fact, you're likely adversely affecting your sprints and reports with that configuration. You should revert it. 

You're mostly interested in the Issue Navigator and Filters/Dashboards.

You can also show timespent on issue cards using the Customize Cards function.

Dick Kwon March 23, 2016

Thanks a lot Steven.  It works very well.  Card Layout option is what I wanted.

Please pardon for another question.  I used Gantt chart add-on, but my customers we able to access other projects via Gantt add-on which I did not want.  So I deactivated Gantt access for that user, but it also deactivated JIRA Software access as well.  Is there anyway to deactivate Gantt add-on only? I checked permission management, no avail.

Many thanks^^

image2016-3-24 15:56:45.png

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2016

Unfortunately I am not that familiar with Atlassian Cloud and the related add-ons. Most of my knowledge is based in the Server version of the Atlassian products. It may suit you to open a new Question with a relevant subject so someone else who's more familiar can help you with that.

If you explained what you mean by "deactivate gantt access" I might be able to help.

Dick Kwon March 23, 2016

Thanks Steven.  I went to Managing Application menu and then click on Gantt Application ==> click on User ==> then I deactivate some users.  This caused to deactivate JIRA Software users as well. That's all.  Anyway thanks so much for your great help on Time Spent^^

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2016

The days in column visual indicator will not show the content of your field it will just show a time in a column. The section you need to look at are the card details part of the configuration where you can add the new field to the default display. Note you are restricted to only being able to add 3 fields to the card.

0 votes
Dick Kwon March 23, 2016

I used Column Management with option of 

Column management

Columns can be added, removed, reordered and renamed. Columns are based upon global statuses and can be moved between columns. Minimum and maximum constraints can be set for each mapped column.

Constraints can be added to columns on the board for one statistic.
Show a visual indicator on each card that represents the time spent in the column. This can help identify slow moving issues.
Is this right option to show time spent?  Many thanks
0 votes
Dick Kwon March 23, 2016

image2016-3-24 15:0:34.png

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2016

Can you show us an example of an issue with time logged on it but nothing showing in the issue navigator view?

Suggest an answer