Time Estimation Entry on Kanban

Liz McNeil August 4, 2017

I use a Kanban board for a visual design team while we work to move to something better suited for their work. I was able to add Estimation fields to the card layout under Configure which you can see in the attached screenshot. It reflects their time entered at the close of a ticket and a "None" for original estimate. But for the life of me I don't know how or where they can actually enter their original estimate as it is not visible in the Issue Detail view. Unable to find definitive guidance in documentation.Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 11.43.55 AM.png

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2017

Boards are a view of a selection of issue data, there's fields and activities behind this view.

To enter time without seeing a place for it on the detail view, a user could:

• Be going through a transition screen with the estimates field on it
  • Using the "log work" action from the menus
  • Looking at the standard issue view, which could have the estimate field on it
  • (And I wouldn't be surprised if some of your developers are entering them with REST calls)
Liz McNeil August 4, 2017

Thanks Nic - I set up all the tickets for the team, so my question was really "Where do I enter their initital time estimate?"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2017

Make sure the "original estimate" is on the create issue screen.

Stephan Schaumburg-Lippe June 3, 2019

not on a kanban project type

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2017

Add the field Time Tracking to the Create and Edit screens, so that you can set an Original Estimate on issue creation/edition.

Stephan Schaumburg-Lippe June 3, 2019

not on a kanban projecttype

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2019

You do realise this is not about Next-gen projects - it is about classic boards where you can add estimates on Kanban

Suggest an answer