Ticket numbers jumping

MICE Portal GmbH July 9, 2013

Since today the ticket numbers in our local jira jump to higher values very quickly. We were at ticket id 7000 something and 20 tickets later it was at id 8700. Do you have an idea what the reason for that could be?

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
MICE Portal GmbH July 11, 2013

It was the issue keys. We found the reason:

An issue that was created by mail could not be saved to the database because of some special characters. However the ID-count was still increased. This is the exception:

[Created via e-mail received from: Frederik Fix <f.fix@eventbs.com>]][priority,3][timeestimate,null][duedate,null][timeoriginalestimate,null][watches,0][key,MP-10070] (SQL Exception while executing the following:INSERT INTO jira
issue (ID, pkey, PROJECT, REPORTER, ASSIGNEE, issuetype, SUMMARY, DESCRIPTION, ENVIRONMENT, PRIORITY, RESOLUTION, issuestatus, CREATED, UPDATED, DUEDATE, RESOLUTIONDATE, VOTES, WATCHES, TIMEORIGINALESTIMATE, TIMEESTIMATE, TIMESP
ENT, WORKFLOW_ID, SECURITY, FIXFOR, COMPONENT) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) (Incorrect string value: '\xE2\x97\x8F   ...' for column 'DESCRIPTION' at row 1))
        at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDAO.singleInsert(GenericDAO.java:136)
        at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDAO.insert(GenericDAO.java:101)
        at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericHelperDAO.create(GenericHelperDAO.java:64)
        at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDelegator.create(GenericDelegator.java:487)
        at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDelegator.create(GenericDelegator.java:467)
        at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericValue.create(GenericValue.java:98)
        at com.atlassian.jira.ofbiz.DefaultOfBizDelegator.createValue(DefaultOfBizDelegator.java:374)
        ... 21 more

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2013

Ahh, well spotted :-)

Ryan Carmichael January 29, 2015

This just happened to us as well (JIRA 6.1.7). Exactly the same log output, but we don't monitor the logs frequently so we "lost" about 5000 issue numbers before realizing it. I ended up having to delete the email off the server to get it to stop. Seems like maybe it should only try a few times before marking the email as un-insertable.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2015

That would be nice. I had two years of logs filled with three emails it couldn't parse every 10 minutes. Fortunately, none of them were creates, but it would have been nice if it could have just given up and stopped polluting my logs.

Alexey Konoplev December 7, 2015

I am experiencing exactly the same issue as described here. I use JIRA v7.0.0#70107. The issue is still not resolved. Dear JIRA developers, please let me know if it is planned to resolve the issue and when?

IEX Atlassian November 22, 2020

Have the same issue with one of our projects. How do I identify the problematic email on the server and delete?

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2013

Do you mean the IDs in the database or the actual issue keys (with the project id and sequence in them)

If it's the second, then that would only happen if someone really did create and then move or delete 1680 tickets.

0 votes
RyanM June 10, 2015

The issue is reported here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-22110
The root cause is here, and is on the Atlassian backlog: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-35310

Please go and vote there, as it's been an issue for quite a long time now.

Saif July 10, 2017

We are seeing the similar issue on our JIRA v7.2.7 Instance.

This problem is only happening under projects where we setup create a ticket via an Incoming Emails. e.g. DEVOPS, IT HelpDesk.

Can someone please update or share any workaround to change any settings under Mail Handlers if any?

I see Atlassian has : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-61788

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2017

It's probably the same problem as discussed above.

What does your log file say the problem is?  Are there emails it can't delete in the mailbox?

0 votes
MICE Portal GmbH July 11, 2013

Thanks for your answer. We installed a second instance of jira (with a separate db) to test jira 6. Could it be related to a shared configuration file or such? The databases are definitely separated.

a display name July 11, 2013

It's unlikely if the two Jiras are separated.

But you have not answered the question that we need an answer to before we can help you much. Is it the database IDs or the issue keys?

Suggest an answer