This workflow is managed internally by JIRA Software. Do not manually modify this workflow.

Christian November 23, 2016

When I'm creating a new "basic software development" project in JIRA, why does the workflow scheme description say:

"Generated by JIRA Software version 7.2.8-DAILY20161103023031. This workflow is managed internally by JIRA Software. Do not manually modify this workflow."

My main goal is to create a new project and customize its workflow by myself not being restricted to not "manually modifiy this workflow".

I'm using JIRA 7.2.5.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 23, 2016

Workflows labelled like that are usually generated by JIRA Software, when certain types of projects are created, or an administrator clicks the "simplify workflow" button on a board.

Workflows that are simplified like this should not be edited manually by administrators, as any edits could be destroyed (and some won't work at all).  The board admins/owners should use their options to change status in the board configuration to maintain them.

So when I want a custom workflow I should not edit the existing workflow, instead I should create a new workflow and assign it. Is this correct?

Like Kevin Loffredi likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 23, 2016

Correct.

However, it is perfectly fine to copy and rename one of these "simplified" workflows to use as the basis of your customised one.  They are normal workflows, it's just that if you do edit them as an admin, and leave the users with the option of "simplified", you may run into problems.

Like Alun Tucker likes this

Thanks smile

Suggest an answer