This user could not be authenticated as a JIRA Administrator

Steven Hamoen November 1, 2015

After updating 6.1.5 to JIRA Software and starting the software it said my license was not valid or not suited. So I created a new license with the given server ID and my valid license. But when I want to enter that license I have to give a User Name and password of a administrator. But when I do that I get the following msg:

JIRA cannot proceed with the upgrade as you are not logged in as a JIRA administrator, or this version of JIRA cannot recognise administrators from the version that you have upgraded from.
To proceed, log in as a JIRA administrator. If you cannot log in, override this requirement by setting the system property '-Dnon.admin.upgrade=true', then restarting JIRA.ⓘ

So I'm trying to go with the 2nd option where I overwrite the system property but it would be nice if they would mention the filename and path wink so that I can find the property. So where can I find this property?

4 answers

1 vote
Steven Hamoen November 4, 2015

Hi Nic,

Atlassian support help me very well!!

At the end this problem was also described in: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-37644

For me I only had the xml backups so the rollback I didn't want to try and changing the system property didn't work, but the option with running the query did work fine.

Thanks for your effort

0 votes
Juliano Marçal November 11, 2015

Thanks! This save me!

0 votes
Steven Hamoen November 1, 2015

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your answer. I have tried both the following lines:

JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS='-Dnon.admin.upgrade=true' in setenv.sh

And

set JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS=-Dnon.admin.upgrade=true in setenv.bat

Both didn't change anything at the startup. You are talking about the environment, but it is a window install so that should then be the environment variables. But any idea how to call them?

Anyway I also put in a support request at Atlassian because I do have a valid license so this screen shouldn't have come up in the first place. Thanks anyway!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2015

I think the licence not accepted issue is more of a problem because even if you bypass it with the upgrade flag, you are going to have issues running it afterwards. I'd wait for the support request.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2015

Look for setenv.sh or setenv.bat in the bin directory of the installation.  Or put it in the environment (although I can never remember which variable to add it to)

Suggest an answer