This question is regarding the number of filed configuration required

Deleted user July 5, 2018

I am learning jira and here is a question i came across

Scenario 1:    I have two project with name PROJ_A and PROJ_B .                       

Each project has different set of issue types.                 

Each issue type has different set of fields.

Question :     Then how many field configuration is required...?

My take on this scenario is the as there is a one on one relationship between issue types and field configuration. I think we need to know the different issue types.

Number of issue types=number of field configuration.

Please let me know if my understanding is right here...if not please provide your feedback. I appreciate it..i have more scenarios as such...but i need clarification one by one.

2 answers

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2018

Hello,

Actually, You can have the same field configuration for all projects and issue types, if there is no difference. In the field configuration scheme will be all fields in Jira. The number of fields will not depend on the custom field context.

Thanks for the repsonse

Scenario 2:      I have two project with name PROJ_A and PROJ_B                        

Each project has same set of issue types.                       

does it imply for this situation too?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2018

What do you mean each issue type has different set of fields? Do you mean that you defined different fields in the create, edit and view screens? If so, then it does not matter as long all fieds behave the same. You can set in field configuration scheme such properties as hidden, required. If these properties are same for all projects and issue types, then you can have only one field configuration scheme.

Amazing...thanks for the crystal clear answer.

Is it the same if Each project has same set of issue types and Each issue type has same set of fields with same behaviours.?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 5, 2018

It does not matter wether each project has the same set of issue types and each issue type has the same set of fields. The most important thing  is the behaviour of the fields. If the behaviour is same then you can use just one field scheme configuration.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2018

Ah, this could be quite complex.

The minimum number of field configurations you need is just one.  This is because you could change the fields used in other ways. 

Imagine you have a single custom field called MyField.  You could make it shown in one issue type/project and hidden in another by:

• Having two field configurations, one which shows it, one which hides it.
  • Setting its "context" in the custom field list so that it only exists for one project/issuetype
  • Putting it on screens that are used by one issuetype/project and not the other

You can have a 1:1 relationship with field configurations and issue types if you want, but I'm afraid it can be a lot more complex than that.

Thanks for the repsonse 

Scenario 2:      I have two project with name PROJ_A and PROJ_B                        

Each project has same set of issue types.                       

does it imply for this situation too?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2018

It might.

• You could use one field configuration for them. 
  • You could use several field configurations, based on project. 
  • You could use several field configurations based on issue type.
  • You could use several field configurations based on project and issue type.

In all of those cases, you could do the "different set of fields", partly or totally, with screens instead of field configurations.  Or with field contexts if the variable fields are custom fields.

I really am sorry that it is not simple.  It gives us a lot of flexibility, but is hard to explain.  I am tempted to turn the question on around and ask "why?" instead.  Does it matter about the theoretical numbers of different field configurations you could have, or are you trying to achieve something and looking for guidance?

Thanks for this and I appreciate you for asking why? and yes I really want to understand do these really matter? 

I am learning Jira and want to pursue a career in this.....I am new to Jira, hence, I am learning topic by topic and searching for scenarios online because I want to know how to apply them as per industry standards...I am currently working on my Jira instance creating some sample fields and stuff..but I want to understand the industry standard and I feel like its really important for me understand these to help me with my interview and become an expertise in this subject...so I am like really taking time out of my busy work schedule to do all this...and I guess this forum here is super useful to get answers and to build a network.

Further, is there any where else I can connect to people in Jira to understand the work and get more tips on what needs to be of utmost importance when I am giving an interview and getting into. I badly want to get my hands dirty with Jira. 

I am glad for this conversation. Thanks for this.

Cheers

Harsha

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2018

"I want to learn more" is one of my favourite answers to "why?", although it does make it more difficult to give you more because we're not sure what we could! 

There are essays, or even books, we could write on "how fields in Jira appear and where".  But to try to get back to the question, there are no "industry standards".  We all configure Jira to meet the needs of our users (hopefully).

My opinion is that you should pick one way to show/hide fields and always try to use that first.  Where a Jira install has a mix of field configurations, field context and fields on screens (or not), it rapidly becomes a nightmare.  Where I get handed systems that the admin says "we've got 1187 custom fields, all global and none hidden", I'm actually very happy, because I know it's all done with the screens and I know tinkering with those can fix it all.  What I don't like is "we do a bit with screens, we do a bit with field configuration, we do a bit with context and and and"

I think what I'm getting at is that you need to get to grips with the way fields work.  I think you are most of the way there already, and you don't really need our help because you do understand it already.  You're just not sure that you do.

As for the last question (is there any where else I can connect to people in Jira), the answer is "no".  Because the community here is where you need to be!  I know a bit about Atlassian software, but there's a massive crowd of people here who know a lot more.  Ask us.  You can expect good answers.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events