Things that jira upgrade script should not touch

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2012

I think that the jira upgrade script logic is failty because it will break installs by replacing files which should not be raplaced, like:

bin/setenv.sh        -- place to put JVM config, you have to modify it for real production env (medium-big instances)
conf/server.xml    -- also you need to modify it to allow jira to accept a frontend webserver
bin/jirabanner.txt  --- you need to empty it in order not to spam your console with FancyARTs ;) ... from all services I've seen on linux Jira is the only one that is spamming restart script
jre/lib/security/cacerts -- if you installed any certificates for connecting to other services SMTP/IMAP/LDAP/..., you will loose them on upgrade
Do you agree this this? Do you have any other thigs to add to the list?

1 answer

1 vote
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2012

i agree at least with some files i also have to copy back everytime...such like

bin/setenv.sh

conf/server.xml

i'd love to see an parameter beeing added to the installer where i can choose not to automatically start jira after the upgrade process finished...

cause in sometimes kinda annoy me to shut down the started instance which is unaccessable anyhow cause the configs are moved in the backuped file.....

Suggest an answer