There were too many redirects.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2013

We all just started getting this today when logging into JIRA.

Ver 5.6.2, hosted locally.

Any ideas what's up?

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2013

Have you cleared your browser's cache? This is the most usual cause for this. Another cause is a programming error (i.e. infinite loop of redirects to the same pages), but this is not reproductible on my environments ....

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2013

The log shows that I am not the only one generating this error.

1 vote
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2013

Problem seems to have gone away.

That is not the same thing as saying it is fixed, however.

1 vote
Jessica Mulein July 19, 2013

I'm getting the same with Jira 6. I presume I've botched something locally, but it used to work..

0 votes
Jozsef Frigo _TSM_ December 6, 2018

We had the same problem with our Confluence Server.

Digging a little bit deeper we found two JSESSIONID cookies in the browser, the first (invalid) for the first page visited by the user (with cookie path "/pages/"), the second (good) JSESSIONID cookie for the login (with cookie path "/"). Both cookies were sent with Path = "/" by Tomcat but all browsers ignored this cookie path parameter.

The root cause was a Tomcat setting:

CATALINA_OPTS="-Dorg.apache.catalina.STRICT_SERVLET_COMPLIANCE=true ${CATALINA_OPTS}"

This setting (among others) changes the session handling in Tomcat.  We have removed this setting from Tomcat and the problem disappeared after a restart.

0 votes
Jessica Mulein July 24, 2013

I supect it was a problem with their server configuration.

0 votes
Jessica Mulein July 24, 2013

Curiously if you inspected the network traffic and visited the URL directly it would do the same.

The problem has been resolved as of at least yesterday.

0 votes
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2013

Received the following e-mail this morning. But none of the choices apply.

- There is no answer to accept

- I have no answer to give

- The question is clear

- The question is still valid

--------------------------------------------------------

The following questions of yours are still unresolved:

Please consider one of the following actions:

• Accept an answer (click the grey check mark)
  • Answer your own question, then accept your answer (find the 'Answer my own question' link underneath your question)
  • Edit your question for clarification
  • Add a comment for more information from an existing answer
  • Close the question, if it's invalid

Please be a good Answers citizen!

Accepting answers on resolved questions earns you Karma points, and increases the chances that Answers' top contributors will answer your future questions. If your question is still legitimate and you'd like to await further answers, please do!

Suggest an answer