There is an option to know if 7.2.4 upgraded frome/through 7.0.0 version

Chen Touboul February 21, 2018

I have a question to ask cause i'm in the adge of this issue / process :)

When i started working in my company, Jira server was already  7.2.4.

The history of our Jira server was 6.1.1 (agile+core) and now its 7.2.4.

I know its upgraded through 6.4 but not know if its goes through 7.0.0

My question is how can i know if the upgrade of this Jira goes trough 7.0. version.

Right now all looks good in 7.2.4  but i wonder if:

a. There is an option to know (i don't know) if 7.2.4 upgraded through 7.0.0 version 
    lets say...by some file or a something that i can check to approve that fact?

b. If all looks good now what could be the impact for now/future in case that the guy before me didn't upgraded through 7.0.0

c.  Is it coast money to upgrade from 7.2.4 to the new latest version?
someone told me that from 7.5 version we'll need to pay for license...is that correct
Jira license isn't about per users?

Regards,
Chen :)

4 answers

4 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2018

I think ensure all your plugins are compatible with new version of JIRA - atleast make sure you get your important plugins checked.

You can run a check - if you know where the option is.

I feel Upgrade is as easy as Install - in fact Atlassian JIRA upgrade has an automated robust backup system as well when you do an upgrade.

If you are not confident still - do it in a test environment.

But yes - always ensure that you reconfigure any customization you may have done. Also jira creates a file with list of files that were modified during upgrade - so its pretty easy to track what files were modified.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2018

Dear @Chen_Touboul,

a) you can see this in System Information view. There is a history of all upgrades.

b) worst case data inconsistency. Have you run at least the integrity checker - any FATAL exceptions in the log?

c) you can upgrade to any version that was released during your maintenance period or earlier.

So long

Thomas

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chen Touboul March 5, 2018

Hi Thomas, 

1. Whats the process after install version 6.4.4 i mean in genearl, what the process for moving for the next version...like is it must reindxing and then install the next version 7.0.11...i mean what the critical points to do or i say the important thing to do before continue to the next upgrad/version  (i know how to backup in case something happened) i have mysql database.

2.After 7.0.11 whats the best version or stable  one you can advise me, should i move to the last version?

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2018

1. Re indexing is not necessary. I recommend to observe the log file during the steps. During upgrade process sometimes it seems that jira is hanging, but it just takes some time. Make sure you have the right plugins at hand, that fit to the current active jira version.

2. Jump to any version, but to to the latest sub version. Eg not 7.2.7 but 7.2.12. You can even jump to 7.8.x.

Chen Touboul March 11, 2018

Hi Tomas,
Just to be sure and i like your answers, so i can do the upgrade after upgrade.

what about Mysql i checked the prerequisit and i dont need to change mysql for all the upgrades 
is it meanning when  upgrade jira, i just be asked for fill the tabelname,user,password,hotnmae,port in any upgrade again and again 
sound very easy, just checkking if im not missing something?

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2018

Normally all settings stay as they are. If you have to change something with your DB setting it is listed in the upgrade notes.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chen Touboul February 21, 2018

Thanks a lot for your fast and very good answer. i learned a lot from that answer.

I have 2 more question about this issue.
hope thats ok for you  :)

1. we have the old version production 6.1.1 with mysql DB (on a vm machine, the 7.2.4 is suppose to be the production in the future).

a. i wonder if except than upgrading so many times from 6.1.1 to 6.4 to 7.0 to 7.2.4
   Can i create a new Jira instance 7.2.4 without the upgrading and just restore the backup xml       from the 6.1.1?

b .if i backup the xml file and file systems and i create a complte new jira instance lets say 7.2.4      and connect to a new mysql install:
    in case i can do it, if i restore the xml in the new jira instance, is it integrate automatically            with the new mysql DB?  

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 21, 2018

Dear @Chen_Touboul,

a) unfortunately not. This is not recommended by Atlassian. You can try but at your own risk.

b) if the dump is from version 7.2.4 >= x >= 7.0.x, then you can. 

The path is 6.4.14 -> 7.0.11 -> 7.2.4. But you do not need to restore from XML file, you can just point the new Jira version to the current Jira DB.

So long

Thomas

Suggest an answer