error when trying to update the system from 6.2.7 to 7.1.9
first, I updated to version 6.4
then to version 7.1.9
and then appeared an error "Unexpected exception during JIRA startup. This JIRA instance will not be able to recover. Please check the logs for details"
I checked database for Null. And nothing found
then, I found the inactive users and replaced them
error is not missing
I then removed the home/jira/cashes/indexes home/jira/plugins/.bundled-plugins and .osgi-plugins
and renamed installed-plugins
but all this did not help, I still see the error at startup jira. in the logs also do not see anything that could help me
I very recently did a 6.2.1 to 7.1.9 upgrade but had to step-stone it like this:
6.2.1 -> 6.3.15
6.3.15 -> 6.4.13
6.4.13 -> 7.1.9
I skipped re-indexing between the first 2 upgrades, and allowed the errors to flow, and only really took care about upgrading plugins, and in specific always starting with UPM after each upgrade, to make sure the newer plugins got installed using the right UPM. I also made sure to verify that all plugins were compatible, OR DISABLED, as i saw very similar problems to what you are describing when i didn't.
Once on 7.1.9 i removed cache dirs and rebuilt it all indexes. By not doing the reindexes between the first versions i managed to get it down to a 1.5 hour upgrade, with an added hour to reapply all customizations (server ports in server.xml, dbconfig.xml, cacerts-file).
Another gotcha i ran into was that the setenv.sh pointing to my custom keystore for some reason is ignored by JIRA 7.1.9, and instead it uses the default keystore under /opt/where.i.have.my.jira/jre/lib/security/cacerts (from the top of my head)
Another thing! Once the installer (runnign as root) started up the JIRA instance (using user Jira) it somehow failed badly too, with lots of errors very similar to your. Try shutting it down using the shutdown.sh script as the JIRA user, kill zombiing processes after giving it a few minutes to shut down gracefully, and then start it up again using user Jira. This allowed the server to come up.
I also noted that giving the plugin a longer timeout could delay the startup with 30 minutes, but it actually started which allowed me to keep upgrading during my earlier attempts of upgrading by adding "
-Datlassian.plugins.enable.wait=300" in setenv.sh
Hope any of this can help. Good luck!
The first thing I would do is raise a support ticket with Atlassian for them to help you. You can do this at https://support.atlassian.com/help/ as they will be best placed to assist you.
You say you have checked the logs for details of what went wrong. Could you please confirm which logs you have looked in. In particular did you check the application log and catalina.out for error messages?
thanks for the advice, I will write in support of the necessarily.
in catalina.out i have next messages
2016-09-27 13:41:00,002 Caesium-1-3 WARN ServiceRunner [c.a.jira.scheduler.OfBizRunDetailsDao] Cannot record run details when the scheduling system is not started: jobId=com.atlassian.jira.service.JiraService:10000; runDetails=RunDe$
2016-09-27 13:41:10,517 Caesium-1-3 DEBUG ServiceRunner [c.a.activeobjects.osgi.ActiveObjectsServiceFactory] getService bundle [com.atlassian.support.healthcheck.support-healthcheck-plugin]
Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG