The values in select list custom field are not listed as a drop down and unable to select values

Mageswari October 4, 2012

Created a custom field of type select list and added various options to it. But when displayed in the issue creation screen it is not seen as a drop down list; the values are not active and does not allow selection.

4 answers

0 votes
Mageswari October 9, 2012

Yes. Can't select a value; List gets populated but greyed out and unclickable.

Mageswari October 11, 2012

Can be closed.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2012

Can we ask what was wrong in the end? Some javascript you'd been messing with? A plugin?

Mageswari October 15, 2012

No ideas; I re-installed the instance and restored the same xml, where it worked fine.

0 votes
Mageswari October 5, 2012

'Not Active' - I meant, unable to select a value

There's only one context, which is default and only one project in this instance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2012

I'm sorry, but "unable to select a value" is still not quite descriptive enough. Why can't you select a value? Is the list populated? Greyed out and unclickable? Select something and it doesn't save?

0 votes
Mageswari October 5, 2012

The Jira version we use is 4.0.1; The added custom field type is 'Select List', which is a standard one. The various options were configured through 'Edit Options' function.

Not sure what could have gone wrong and why the values are not active?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2012

Ok, what does "not active" mean? Do they not appear in the list at all?

Having asked that, I actually suspect you've got the "context" wrong. You can define a select list, with several possible sets of options, and say "use set 1 for project A, set 2 for project B, set 3 for project C" and so-on. My guess is that you've defined "set 1 for project A" and are expecting it to appear in project B? Go to the list of options and look at the top where it should say "this context is for projects..."

Some screen shots etc at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+a+Custom+Field

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2012

You'll need to give a lot more detail here. We have no idea how you "added various options", what you've done with the view, how you've configured it or anything else. It's not even clear whether this is a standard field, or one you've written yourself. Even "the values are not active" is not very helpful in describing what is wrong.

Could you tell us exactly what you have done?

Suggest an answer